The Design that Educates Awards (DtEA) recognize, showcase, and promote globally the best ideas and implementations of architecture and design that can educate. The design itself may provide an informative and educational layer that guides us through the increasing complexity of our environment. It can showcase specific possibilities and challenges, explain sociocultural factors and influences, or even outline new scenarios for future development.
Each year, the esteemed panel of judges selects the outstanding ideas and implementations in the categories of architectural design, product design, universal design, and responsive design.
The awards are a multidisciplinary call for ideas and implementations in the categories of (1) architectural design,(2) product design, (3) universal design, and (4) responsive design. Deliberation about the entries will consist of two phases: (1) selection of the finalists and (2) selection of winners and laureates of honorable mentions. Entries will be evaluated based on the following criteria: feasible, verifiable, visionary, original, and comprehensive. The theme of the awards has been inspired by the research called ‘Educating Buildings’ (‘Bildende Bauten’) by Dr. Peter Kuczia.
- Registration opens in June 2019
- Early registration: until August 1, 2019
- Regular registration: until November 1, 2019
- Late registration: until February 1, 2020
- Project submission deadline: February 2, 2020
- Jury deliberation: February 2020
- Announcement of winners: March 1, 2020
- Awards ceremony: April 23–24, 2020
- UTC time zone for all dates.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
The ‘Design that Educates Awards’ are open to everyone. The winners, laureates of prizes, honorable mentions, and nominations will be selected in each category: (1) architectural design, (2) product design, (3) universal design, and (4) responsive design. In addition to the general evaluation, the student project with the highest score will be awarded with the label of Emerging Designers. Parallel to the jury’s evaluation, representatives of Solarlux will select the laureates of Solarlux Choice. Participants can submit multiple designs in the same category, multiple designs in different categories, or a single design in more than one category, in teams or individually
Deadline: February 01, 2020
Program Starts: April 23, 2020
Program Ends: April 24, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
Exhibition & awards ceremony
The projects of the winners and laureates of honorable mentions will be exhibited during the ‘Architecture in Foyer 2020’ conference at the Solarlux Campus in Germany on April 23–24, 2020. The laureates will be invited to present their designs during the ceremony.
- 1250 USD: Winner in the category of architectural design*
- 1250 USD: Winner in the category of product design*
- 1250 USD: Winner in the category of universal design*
- 1250 USD: Winner in the category of responsive design*
- 625 USD: Winner of Emerging designer**
- 1000 USD: Winner of Solarlux Choice
Organizer will pay the tax on awards in the country of its business activity.
*Net values after taxation: *1000 USD, **500 USD.