Within the Generic Systems and Infrastructure Division (GSI), the Junior Computer Systems Engineers will support maintenance and evolutions of operational software intensive services involving Wide Area Network, cloud-computing and big data technologies.
The initial focus will be on developing capabilities to reach full proficiency in the area of software and service engineering in a 24/7 operational environment.
- Support maintenance and evolutions of operational services involving cloud-computing and big data technologies, on-line data access and data distribution across WANs (Wide Area Networks);
- Design, prototype, develop and maintain small to medium size software applications in support to data access services and multi-mission elements of the EUMETSAT ground segment (data dissemination, data archive, infrastructure and monitoring);
- Conduct technical interactions with service providers and industrial partners;
- Contribute to the generation/maintenance of technical baseline documentation, involving requirements engineering of the related services, interface specifications, design of functions and software applications;
- Provide support to configuration and quality control activities.
24 April 2019
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide. EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
University degree in computer science, software engineering or other relevant discipline.
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge on software engineering;
- Strong motivation to develop towards full professionalism in the area of computer engineering and big data and on line data services, in an operational 24/7 environment;
- Readiness to learn / expand the own knowledge combined with excellent interpersonal skills and the proven ability to work in a team;
For this role some of the following knowledge would be advantageous:
- Object-oriented programming languages;
- Unix Computer operating systems;
- Computer and network architectures (TCP/IP);
- Relational or no-SQL databases.
Deadline: April 24, 2019
Cost/funding for participants:
The initial contract will be under the EUMETSAT Early Career Employee Programme (ECEP), for two (2) years with grade A1 on the EUMETSAT salary scale. Subject to successful performance, a further contract of 5 years’ duration will be awarded in a post graded A2-A4. Additional contracts may be awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63, and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
This post is graded A1 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 4393 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable on the basis of skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits.