BECOME THE SCIENCE Engagement Breakthrough OF THE YEAR 2021.
HOW DO YOU ENGAGE THE PUBLIC WITH SCIENCE?
Do you run a Science Engagement initiative that engages the public actively with science? Would you like to raise international visibility for your project and be part of a global Science Engagement community? Apply now to get the chance to showcase your work at Falling Walls Engage 2021 in front of an international audience and distinguished expert jury – an event bringing together the brightest minds from science, economy, politics, and the media.
Win a trip to Berlin in November with the chance to present your project at the Falling Walls Conference and become the Breakthrough of the Year in Science Engagement.
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill out the application form by clicking on ‘Apply Here‘ with the help of our Application Process Guide.
- Get a confirmation email with further information regarding the competition process.
- Receive an answer by August 2021 if you are one of the 50 Finalists that will be presented on the Falling Walls website and other channels.
- Receive an answer shortly afterwards if you are one of the 20 Winners who will be asked to produce a max. 3-minute video about your project.
- Be invited to present your project on the stage of Falling Walls Engage in November in front of an international audience.
THE GLOBAL PLATFORM FOR SCIENCE ENGAGEMENT
At Falling Walls Engage, we aim to inspire and connect creative individuals who engage communities with science all around the world. We work to build an international community of Science Engagers who develop fresh approaches and innovative formats from the grassroots to the institutional level.
We strive to expand the recognition of Science Engagement practices worldwide together with a strong international alliance of partners and stakeholders, with the belief that a better understanding and appreciation of science can help tackle global societal challenges.
We are proudly supported by our founding partner, the Robert Bosch Stiftung, a catalyst for science on pressing social issues and successful interchange between stakeholders with different expertise and perspectives.
WHAT IS SCIENCE ENGAGEMENT?
We define Science Engagement as activities, events, or interactions bridging the gap between science and society to generate mutual learning and mutual benefits, which can include a range of projects from public engagement in science to science communication. Engagement is per definition a two-way process with the goal to shape and co-create scientific process together, to promote active involvement of the public and researchers in scientific knowledge production.
At Falling Walls Engage we seek participatory formats of all levels: from co-productive research and public panels to arts-driven or entertaining approaches – the common ground is the inclusion of and impact on all sides involved.
THE ENGAGE COMMUNITY WORLDWIDE
The Falling Walls Engage community is a dynamic international network made up of former Falling Walls Finalists, partner organisations and events participants. The community takes part in activities all year round, with a focus on co-learning, cross-sectoral exchange and knowledge transfer. These physical and digital events are a unique opportunity for Science Engagers to compare experience from different regional contexts, formulate common challenges, and build intercultural and interdisciplinary synergies.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
WHAT INITIATIVES ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Participatory and interactive formats of all kinds: from co-productive research over public panels towards arts-driven or entertaining approaches.
- Projects of all sizes: from grassroots to institutionalised projects – common ground is the impact of your initiative.
- Exemplary initiatives from all over the world with a transferable and/or scalable approach that generates mutual learning and benefits for both sides, science and the public.
- Initiatives with measurable outcomes and long-term impact on their target group.
Deadline: June 15, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
WHAT IS IN IT FOR YOU?
Benefits for all 50 Finalists
- Unique networking-opportunities with Science Engagers and peers around the world.
- Increased reach and visibility for you and your initiative on a global level.
- Participation in multiple professional workshops with other Finalists.
- Access to the global Falling Walls Engage Community, to join regular physical and virtual events such as theFalling Walls Engage Hubs.
- Access to the digital and global community platform Falling Walls Connect, to connect and collaborate with Community members.
- And much more.
Extra benefits for the 20 Winners
- Win a trip to Berlin and showcase your project to an international audience and a distinguished jury on stage on 7 November.
- Have the chance to become the Breakthrough of the Year 2021 in the category Science Engagement.
- Become a Falling Walls Engage Science Engagement Ambassador, an exclusive part of the Falling Walls Engage Community, with exclusive learning and development opportunities
- In depth co-learning and peer exchange with Falling Walls community members, partners and global leaders.
- A video of your initiative published on our growing Falling Walls media library.
Extra benefits for the Breakthrough of the Year
- Have your project presented in front of a physical and virtual audience of global leaders, award-winning professionals and industry-experts on 9 November at the Falling Walls Conference.
- Become a jury member in the category Science Engagement at Falling Walls 2022.