The aim of the Hatfield Lioness Scholarship is to enable a female student from a developing country where access to tertiary education is limited to benefit from undertaking postgraduate study at the University of Durham. The scholarship has been set up as part of the celebration of 30 years of women students at Hatfield College, University of Durham, and is funded by alumni, friends of the College and other sources supportive of the scholarship’s aims.
Hatfield College aims to award the Lioness Scholarship to an individual who has the academic and personal qualities to enable them to complete and benefit from a postgraduate course, and who will also act as a positive ambassador for their home country in Durham, and put their enhanced knowledge and skills gained from the master’s programme and experience in Durham to good use for the benefit of their society when they return home.
Level of study
Taught Master’s Degree programmes
Mode of study
Year of Entry
The scholarship is available for students starting a degree programme in October 2019.
All except MBA
How to apply
Stage 1: Submit an academic application for your chosen master’s programme; within this application you should reference your intention to apply for the Hatfield Lioness Scholarship
Stage 2: Submit an application for the Scholarship on this Application form
30th April 2019
When candidates will hear the outcome of their application
We provide an education that challenges boundaries, is research-led and transformative and takes advantage of the latest digital technologies.
We welcome talented students from all backgrounds and when you join Durham you become part a community of over 18,000 students from over 125 different countries. We offer one of the broadest ranges of courses in the UK covering the Arts & Humanities, Sciences, and Social Sciences with over 200 undergraduate and 100 taught postgraduate courses, and many research programmes.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Applicants must have applied for and been offered an unconditional place on their chosen master’s programme by the end of June 2019.
Applicants must not be in receipt of any other scholarship to fund their postgraduate studies.
- hold a relevant honours degree of sufficient standard to be admitted to your chosen Master’s course ; and
- have all other course entry requirements including the relevant English language qualification;
- not hold a Master’s degree; and
- not otherwise have the financial means to study for a Master’s degree in the UK
Deadline: April 30, 2019
Cost/funding for participants:
The scholarship will cover:
- Full payment of University tuition fees
- Stipend for living expenses – 12 monthly payments
- One return economy air ticket from the home country to the UK, and the cost of return travel between the UK airport and Durham City
- Fully funded, self-catered, mixed accommodation at Hatfield College
- ‘Settling in allowance’ on arrival
- Cost of UK visa and the UK Health surcharge
One academic year
- The Scholarship does not provide funding for dependants, nor for travel during the Scholarship
- Accommodation is for the Scholarship holder only; dependants cannot be accommodated
Number of awards available