Founded in 2008 in Geneva, the Humanium association is actively working towards creating a world where children’s rights are respected, protected and applied. The association is co-creating lasting change to guarantee children’s rights in the world.
Starting date: Immediately or to be determined
Length of internship: Minimum 6 months
Location: Remote internship, via internet
Time commitment: Between 60% and 100%, flexible
Humanium’s universal action is based upon three pillars:
- Independent observation: Humanium keeps a constant watch over children’s circumstances and reports cases where children’s rights are violated in the world with the ultimate aim of guaranteeing full transparency.
- Education in children’s rights online: Humanium encourages the emergence and development of an online community using digital communication tools and technology for the purpose of raising adults’ and children’s awareness of these issues in a simple and understandable way.
- Legal advice: Humanium offers legal advice on children’s rights through working with a worldwide network of lawyers.
In order to support its online help and awareness-raising activities, Humanium is looking for bilingual interns to raise people’s awareness and give legal advice.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Raising awareness: s/he will identify the difficulties children are facing worldwide and provide legal advocacy through the writing of blog posts on various topics linked to children’s rights (violations, taboos, calls to States and civil society etc.) on a local, national and regional scale.
- Legal Advice: s/he will oversee the legal monitoring of Humanium’s Helpline, advise and provide guidance to the different people submitting real cases concerning difficulties faced by children, in accordance with current applicable law and international conventions. S/he will also try to answer questions put to the Helpline concerning the application or clarification of certain terms in the Convention on the Rights of the Child and other international conventions dealing with children’s rights.
- Communication: S/he will post content on social media, interact with Humanium’s Facebook community regarding questions about children’s rights (comments on published articles etc.), and educate, raise the awareness of and socially mobilise the Facebook community on questions about children’s rights.
- Participation in the search for new funding sources: s/he will participate in the search for financial partners for project management, in the development and design of these projects and fundraising by submitting planned grant applications to various foundations and organisations.
- Any other related duties as necessary/ needed
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Education and experience
- University education: International Law, Cooperation and International Relations
- Languages: Fluent written and spoken English and French; Spanish is an advantage
- I.T. and Internet: ability to use core software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), the internet and social media
- Experience in fundraising and fundraising requests: an advantage
Requirements for the remote internship
- This internship is unpaid professional training; a university internship agreement and/or a contract between Humanium and the intern will be established.
- Very independent and disciplined.
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to take initiative.
- Ability to work alone and in a virtual professional situation.
- It is indispensable to have constant access to a high-speed internet connection. A bad or slow internet connection is insufficient for the internship.
- Have your own computer and be proficient in common computer programs and the internet.
- Attendance at team meetings every Wednesday is required. The rest of the time is flexible.
- Although the communication tools used allow nearly constant contact with the team through chat, email, telephone, and video calls, the internship is nevertheless carried out alone. Therefore, it is essential to demonstrate systematic procedures, organization, and motivation. In addition, it is important to adhere to a schedule.
Deadline: As soon as possible
Cost/funding for participants:
Advantages of the remote internship
- Internship can be done anywhere in the world.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Saves time and money for everyone: the remote internship makes it possible to avoid travel to the worksite.
- You are able to work from home and it is possible to complete the internship part-time, particularly if you are also pursuing a degree or if you need to have a paying job at the same time as the internship.