Up to twelve brilliant international students, one unique opportunity: the chance to attend the 3-month Merck Innovation Summer School at our Innovation Center in June 2021.
We are looking for 12 PhD and experienced Master’s students from any discipline, studying at one of the world’s top universities. Do you enjoy working on novel ideas with the potential to generate transformational change? Then this is a great opportunity for you!
With the support of our experienced innovation facilitators and trainings, you will work on your team's innovation concept and pitch it to our seed funding committee. If your team's idea is selected, it will form the basis of a real innovation project with the possibility to work on it further after the Innovation Summer School.
INNOVATION CHALLENGES 2021
- SMART PACKAGING: Develop integrated packaging solutions in order to enable monitoring, safety & sampling in production environments.
- ADVANCED CELL MODELS: Create cell culture models for assessment of efficacy and safety in order to increase success in clinical trials for quicker, better drugs to market.
- BIOELECTRONICS: Use ultrasound neurostimulation in a highly focused manner for therapeutic treatments in order to minimize surgery and increase treatment efficacy.
What is our Innovation Summer School?
The Merck Innovation Center at our Headquarters in Darmstadt, the City of Science, aims to develop entirely new businesses and technologies beyond our current scope.
At Merck we believe that scientific exploration and responsible entrepreneurship are key to technological advances that benefit us all. Within this context, the Merck Innovation Summer School operates as a paid 3-month program (internship) that allows you to learn about intrapreneurship, meaning innovation in a corporate environment, and grow a seed idea into a “pitchable” innovation concept. The 2021 program will welcome 12 brilliant PhD students and experienced Master’s students who will be fully integrated into the Merck Innovation Center and will develop their ideas in a team around the three challenge topics: Smart Packaging, Advanced Cell Models and Ultrasound Neurostimulation. We are looking for outstandingly talented individuals to absorb everything they can about innovation from Merck experts and who feel a real passion to bring their ideas to life.
How does the Innovation Summer School work?
The program will take you through intensive innovation trainings, involvement in innovation practice, and hands-on project experience at our state-of-the-art Innovation Center. Ultimately, the goal of the program is to develop new Merck innovation projects that lead to new Merck businesses. By networking amongst our 57,000 employees around the world, you can build a project that connects the know-how of our three core businesses: Healthcare, Life Science, and Performance Materials.
Guided by our experienced innovation facilitators and trainings, you will have the amazing opportunity to pitch your team's innovation concept to our seed funding committee. If your team's idea is selected, it will form the basis of a real innovation project with the option to continue working on it further. This is a great chance to launch your career by becoming a real intrapreneur!
- Starting in June 2021 until August 2021, participants will join an interdisciplinary team of 4 PhD and Master’s students.
- Each team will work on developing an innovation project within one of our Innovation Challenges (Smart Packaging, Advanced Cell Models and Ultrasound Neurostimulation) from scratch and will then pitch an innovation concept that is relevant and meaningful for Merck’s innovation strategy.
- Each team will be required to build a network across the company to involve the most suitable Merck experts from around the world to support and join their team.
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for up to 12 PhD and experienced Masters students from any discipline, studying at one of the world’s top universities. Do you enjoy working on novel ideas with the potential to generate transformational change? Then, this is a great opportunity for you!
Deadline: January 31, 2021
Program Starts: June 01, 2021
Program Ends: August 30, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
What are the benefits for you?
At the the Summer School, you will:
- Gain a deep understanding of how a leading global science and technology company like Merck drives innovation and change from its futuristic Innovation Center.
- Discover how a global player like Merck enables innovation within corporate structures in a flexible, agile and modern work environment.
- Learn to be an intrapreneur, understanding the challenges and opportunities of corporate innovation.
- Experience a truly intercultural and interdisciplinary learning environment with a unique mix of young and experienced talents.
- Receive an Innovation Center certification as proof of expertise.
- Get to know the Rhine-Main region in the center of Germany
- Get support for visa applications as required.