United States of America Worldwide
MIE Experts are part of an exclusive program created to recognize global educator visionaries using technology to pave the way for better learning and student outcomes. MIE Experts help shape the future-- they work hand-in-hand with Microsoft to lead innovation in education, advocate for the effective use of technology in the classroom, share ideas with a global network of peers, and become thought leaders in the edtech space.
About the MIE Expert Program
Recognizing Innovation at Microsoft, we believe that technology alone cannot build 21st century skills in students. Technology is an accelerator, but alone it does not enable change. We believe in the power of the educator, and the impact educators can have when they are brought together and recognized for their achievements.
The Microsoft Innovative Educator (MIE) Expert program is an exclusive program created to recognize global educator visionaries who are using technology to pave the way for their peers in the effective use of technology for better learning and student outcomes.
MIE Experts help Microsoft to lead innovation in education. They advocate and share their thoughts on effective use of technology in education with peers and policy makers. They provide insight for Microsoft on new products and tools for education, and they exchange best practices as they work together to promote innovation in teaching and learning.
Continue on to find out how to join the MIE Expert program and the life-changing opportunities it affords. Click here to see information on all of our Microsoft Innovative Educator programs.
How to join the program
The self nomination tool is now open year-round.
You are welcome to nominate yourself at any time, however, we will only formally announce those in the program each August in a blog post and by posting the official list.
Be sure that you have joined the Microsoft Educator Community and completed your profile. You will need to submit the URL to your public profile as a part of the nomination process. You can find your URL by going into Edit Profile and looking under “basic information.”
Ensure that you have earned 1,000 points on the Microsoft Educator Community and become a Certified MIE. You must be a Certified MIE to become (or stay) an MIE Expert.
Create a 2-minute video or Sway that answers the following questions in a manner that creatively expresses what makes you a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert. To share the video/Sway in your nomination, you will need to post it somewhere that allows you to create a URL to share it.
- Why do you consider yourself to be a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert?
- Describe how you have incorporated Microsoft technologies in innovative ways in your classroom. Include artifacts that demonstrate your innovation. Your examples should demonstrate that you have cultivated a strong 21st century teaching and learning environment.
- How have you impacted the learning and growth of your colleagues? Have you reached beyond your classroom to coach/support other teachers in their growth?
- If you become a MIE-Expert, how do you hope it will impact your current role in the next 12 months?
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
MIE Experts will be selected by the regional Microsoft representative based on the quality of the responses to the self-nomination form, the level of innovation and use of Microsoft tools described in the learning activity and the level of detail in how becoming a part of the program will impact both teaching and student learning.
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
MIE Experts have the following opportunities:
- Access to professional and career development opportunities and certifications
- Share your expertise with world-renowned educators and specialists to scale their innovations
- Build educator capacity in your community (school, district or at training events) by speaking, training and/or coaching colleagues and inviting them to participate in the online Microsoft Educator Community
- Participate in focus groups giving feedback to development teams on Microsoft products
- Test new products while in beta form and participate in pre-release programs for certain education-related tools
- Represent Microsoft through product demonstrations and by attending events
- Collaborate with innovative educators around the globe
- Host regional events showcasing your use of Microsoft technology in the classroom
- Opportunity to nominate to become a Skype Master Teacher (details below)