The competition is open again! The 12th edition of the Postcode Lottery Green Challenge has kicked off. Green start-ups from all over the world can submit their green business plans from 1 March until 1 June 2018.
The Postcode Lottery Green Challenge is an annual international competition that rewards products/services/technologies that successfully combine sustainability, entrepreneurship and creativity. The jury will look for business plans that contribute to an eco-friendly lifestyle, directly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and score highly on convenience, quality and design.
The Dutch Postcode Lottery started the competition in 2007, after being inspired by president Clinton to look for those dedicated entrepreneurs with brilliant green business plans. Plans that are ready to speed up the transition towards a low carbon economy. The answers to the issues of our time are already in front of us. But it takes entrepreneurs like the Postcode Lottery Green Challenge finalists to present us with sustainable solutions and get them out into the world.
Tackling climate change
Climate change presents a pressing challenge for us all. The world needs help embracing a more sustainable way of life, and one bright idea can make a big difference. The Postcode Lottery Green Challenge has been started to promote the invention of great new green products and services.
Businesses that are ready to speed up the transition towards a low carbon economy. The answers to the issues of our time are already in front of us. But it takes entrepreneurs like the finalists to raise those answers and get them out into the world.
How it works
- From 1 March to 1 May 2019 - Complete the online application
- July 2019 - The preliminary jury announces the 25 nominees
- August 2019 - The five finalist will be announced
- September 2019 - Final presentation for an international jury and selected audience. The winner will receive €500,000
- should have the potential to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions by an amount you can roughly estimate
- should be developed enough to execute
- should be realisable as a usable product or service within the next two years
- should preferably have integrated Cradle2Cradle principles in their designs
Besides these criteria, the jury will also look at factors as communication potential, courageousness and creativity.
An elevator pitch will go a long way
One of the questions we ask on the entry form is to create an elevator pitch. In an elevator pitch you try to convince a potential investor of your business plan in the time your shared elevator ride would last. If you are a driven social entrepreneur, your goal is to make your dream come true.
To make that happen, you will need backup. Financial, but also creative and inspirational backup. Whether you are entering the Postcode Lottery Green Challenge or not, you will have to pitch your business plan thousands of times if you are looking for investors. So here is your chance to work on that pitch. Good luck!
What happens to the ideas that don’t win?
Dutch Postcode Lottery is in touch with a number of organisations that are interested in helping to realise ideas that don’t win. On your entry form, you can give these parties permission to contact you directly.
The purpose of the Postcode Lottery Green Challenge is to stimulate people to think about products and services that can make the planet greener. We hope many of these ideas will be realised – not just the ones that take the prizes!
The entry period for the next edition of the Postcode Lottery Green Challenge opens on 1 March and closes on 1 May 2019. So are you a sustainable entrepreneur with an innovative, green business plan that helps combat climate change?
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Green start-ups from all over the world can submit their promising sustainable business plans.
- be willing to bring your idea to market yourself, and to commit to working with any organisation necessary for developing the product and/or implementing the service
- be 18 years or older
- agree with all Terms & Conditions
- carefully answer all the questions on the entry form in English
- be willing to attend the Postcode Lottery Green Challenge in Amsterdam if you are selected as a finalist and present your idea to the jury
Deadline: May 01, 2019
Cost/funding for participants:
The winner will receive €500,000 to further develop the product or service, and to bring it to market. The runner-up will receive €200,000 and the three other finalists receive €100,000 each. An international jury selects the winner and runner-up.