Algeria Bahrain Egypt Iraq Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Libya Morocco Oman Palestinian Authority Qatar Saudi Arabia Sudan Syria Tunisia United Arab Emirates Yemen Worldwide
The Training and Regional Events grant supports trainings and workshops in the different cultural and artistic fields, in addition to residencies, symposiums, forums, and festivals (multidisciplinary, music, film, performing arts, visual arts, literature…). The program provides annual grants ranging from a few thousand U.S. dollars up to a maximum of fifty thousand U.S. dollars.
When the grant from AFAC exceeds ten thousand dollars yet only covers a portion of the project’s overall budget, the grantee is obliged to raise 70% of the remaining budget in order to be awarded the grant. In the event that the grantee is unable to procure 70% of the remaining project budget within 90 days of receiving the grant, the latter will be canceled.
In the event that the grantee does not sign the grant contract within 60 days upon receipt thereof, the grant will be canceled. Projects must be completed within 2 years of signing the contract, during which grantees are expected so submit the necessary financial and narrative reports. No grantee will be awarded more than two deadline extensions during the grant period; such extensions should be justified by the grantee and approved by AFAC.
AFAC does not offer mobility grants. Travel costs can be covered by the AFAC grant only when they are part of the implementation of a project.
Place and Duration
AFAC will not provide support retroactively, i.e. to projects already completed. For projects that have already started, AFAC will cover the expenses that will occur only after the signature of the contract if the project is selected.
Projects may be implemented anywhere as long as they are created by Arab artists or – as in the case of non-Arab institutions - relevant to the Arab region.
The project’s time frame should not exceed 24 months.
How to Apply
Applications are only accepted through our online applications forms available on our website. Applications submitted via regular mail or e-mail will not be accepted.
The applicant will receive a confirmation email once the online application has been received. Applicants are advised to follow up on the full completion and delivery of requested material as AFAC will not contact applicants if any part of their application is incomplete.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
To apply, please login with you username and password. Once you login, you will be directed to the applications page. In case you don’t have an existing account, please create one here.
- It is highly recommended to submit supporting material/samples for the project you are applying with.
- Applications lacking in supporting material will not be considered for evaluation nor will the applicant be contacted to send the missing material.
- It is mandatory to submit samples of previous works/projects (up to three maximum) unless the project you are applying with is your first work.
- For projects involving training, the following supporting materials are required:
- Curriculum of the training
- Trainers; CVs and agreement/commitment letters from the trainers attesting to their participation
- For projects that include exhibition of artistic/cultural work, the following supporting materials are required:
- Proof of consent of exhibited artists
- Proof of committed venue/space
- For projects that involve work with external consultants, a commitment letter from this second party is required.
- For projects that involve multiple performances / festivals (theater, dance, music, screenings and multidisciplinary projects), the following supporting materials are required:
- Proof of consent of participating works
- Proof of committed venue/space Supporting files/samples of current submitted project and/or previous work smaller than 10 MB can be uploaded directly to the application.
- Supporting files/samples of current submitted project and/or previous work exceeding 10 MB should be included as links to files on sharing websites (such as Dropbox, Vimeo, YouTube…).
- For further inquiries regarding supporting material, contact AFAC grants management team.
- For all projects, include a detailed budget.
Evaluation and Selection Process
Following the submission deadline, AFAC will conduct an administrative check to ensure that applications are complete and adhere to the guidelines. Only applications that pass the administrative check will be processed. An independent readers’ committee will then assess the received proposals and select the applications to be sent to the independent jurors’ committee which will assess the preselected applications and choose the projects to be granted. Please see Evaluation Process for more details.
An automatic email will be sent to the applicants whose projects did not pass the preselection phase. AFAC is not obliged to cover the total amount of the requested grant.
The grant winners will be announced and published on the AFAC website and Facebook page after the jury meetings conclude. An automatic email will be sent to applicants whose projects were not selected to receive grants.
As soon as the grant winners are announced, AFAC will draft a grant contract to be signed by the grantees. The contract will include start and end dates, grant amount, budget breakdown, financial requirements, payment schedule, general provisions, implementation and amendments, required reports and project results.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
AFAC is open to receive project applications from all Arab individuals working in arts and culture. Project applications are accepted irrespective of age, years of experience, country of residence, ethnicity, gender or religion.
AFAC also accepts proposals from local, regional and international institutions whose projects are related to Arab culture. These include artistic, cultural, social and educational institutions, galleries, centers and organizations, governmental and non-governmental, that are engaging with contemporary Arab arts and culture.
Deadline: August 01, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
The AFAC grant covers project-related expenses (including artist fees). In the case of institutions, a small percentage of the grant (not exceeding 15%) can be allocated for certain running costs. AFAC and the jury reserve the right to determine whether the proposed running costs items are relevant or not.
Payment Conditions & Schedule
If AFAC awards a grantee US $10,000 or less, s/he will receive 70% of the grant amount as a first payment. Once the project is completed and the grantee has submitted the deliverables, narrative and financial reports, the remaining 30% will be transferred.
For grants exceeding US $10,000, grant installments will be released only after the grantee submits proof of securing 70% of the remaining total project budget. When the latter condition is fulfilled, grantees will receive 50% of the grant amount as the first payment.
When 80% of the first payment has been spent, the grantee must submit an interim narrative and financial report to AFAC. Once the report is approved, grantees will receive 35% of the grant total amount as a second payment. With submission of the final deliverables and reports, the remaining 15% of the grant total amount will be transferred and the grant will be closed.
Grantees should provide AFAC with ten copies of the final outputs of the project, when applicable.