Japan United Kingdom United States of America Worldwide
The Explorers Club is proud of its history but also looks toward the future, recognizing the importance of new ideas and avenues of exploration. We offer exploration grants in several categories.
The Club is deeply committed to supporting the fieldwork of serious researchers and, as part of its public service commitment, offers exploration grants in the following categories.
High School Students and College Undergraduates
- The goal of this grant category is to foster a new generation of explorers dedicated to the advancement of the scientific knowledge of our world. The average award is approximately $1,500.
Graduate Students and Immediate Post-Doc
- This category of grant supports exploration and field research for those who are just beginning their research careers. Awards are approximately $2,500 to $5000.
For 2021 two categories of grants will be available, The Explorers Club – OceanX grants for research involving the ocean and The Explorers Club – Mamont Scholars grants for all categories of field science.
Both grant categories will require you to submit the following via our online application system:
- One page description of your project with attention to scientific objectives.
- Description of qualifications of your project associates and the specific sites of your proposed research.
- One paragraph description of your career objectives and aspirations and how this project fits into that plan.
- Letter of recommendation from your supervisor
- Copy of a current student ID.
- Budget outline.
- Education and outreach plan.
- Media production plan
Your proposal should be readily understandable to a reviewer of a discipline other than your own. Avoid heavy use of discipline specific jargon unless clearly defined. Keep your titles simple.
The Explorers Club is an international multidisciplinary professional society dedicated to the advancement of field research and the ideal that it is vital to preserve the instinct to explore. Since its inception in 1904, the Club has served as a meeting point and unifying force for explorers and scientists worldwide. Our headquarters is located at 46 East 70th Street in New York City.
Founded in New York City in 1904, The Explorers Club promotes the scientific exploration of land, sea, air, and space by supporting research and education in the physical, natural and biological sciences. The Club’s members have been responsible for an illustrious series of famous firsts: First to the North Pole, first to the South Pole, first to the summit of Mount Everest, first to the deepest point in the ocean, first to the surface of the moon—all accomplished by our members.
The Club provides expedition resources including funding, online information, and member-to-member consultation. And our famed annual dinners honor accomplishments in exploration. But probably the most powerful resource available to those who join the Club is fellowship with other members—a global network of expertise, experience, technology, industry, and support. The Explorers Club actively encourages public interest in exploration and the sciences through its public lectures program, publications, travel program, and other events. The Club also maintains Research Collections, including a library and map room, to preserve the history of the Club and to assist those interested and engaged in exploration and scientific research.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- High School Students and College Undergraduates
- Graduate Students and Immediate Post-Doc
Generally The Explorers Club considers research proposals in a wide array of disciplines, including:
- Climate Change, Geoscience, Paleoclimate (i.e. Early Earth, Tectonics, Volcanism, Paleontology, Glaciology, Geophysics, Astronomy)
- Marine Science, Marine Biology, Marine Life, Fish, Coral, Ocean, Fresh Water, Rivers, Lakes, Estuaries
- Plants and Molds
- Conservation Science
Deadline: December 04, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
Awards for both categories range from $500 to $5,000. We recommend keeping your budget realistic.