Online Switzerland Worldwide
Over the past 15 years, Young Global Leaders have gone on to lead their countries, serve their communities, launch groundbreaking initiatives, expand access to resources, and shake up traditional ways of doing business. We are always looking for exceptional leaders to join our community. The Forum of Young Global Leaders has established a comprehensive selection process for identifying and selecting the most exceptional leaders. Every year, thousands of candidates from around the world are proposed and assessed according to rigorous selection criteria. Only the very best candidates are selected and all efforts are extended to create a truly representative body. Reflecting the diversity of stakeholders, the Young Global Leaders include leaders from politics, business, civil society, academia, and arts and culture across seven geographic regions.
The World Economic Forum is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
It was established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It is independent, impartial and not tied to any special interests. The Forum strives in all its efforts to demonstrate entrepreneurship in the global public interest while upholding the highest standards of governance. Moral and intellectual integrity is at the heart of everything it does.
Our activities are shaped by a unique institutional culture founded on the stakeholder theory, which asserts that an organization is accountable to all parts of society. The institution carefully blends and balances the best of many kinds of organizations, from both the public and private sectors, international organizations and academic institutions.
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to make positive change.
Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum, created the Forum of Young Global Leaders in 2004 as a way to help the world meet increasingly complex and interdependent challenges.
His vision was to create a multistakeholder community of the world’s next-generation leaders to help inform and influence decision-making through the contribution of new ideas, perspectives and energy.
30 April 2022 - Nomination period ends. Nominated candidates may be invited to submit a short application and will be notified of the outcome in the weeks following their nomination.
June - July 2022 - The World Economic Forum shortlists candidates for further review.
September - December 2022 - The selection committee and Young Global Leaders Advisory Group reviews top candidates.
March 2023 - A press announcement is released for the new class of Young Global Leaders.
*Due to the large number of nominations received, the Forum of Young Global Leaders only contacts successful candidates. Some candidates may be contacted as part of the due diligence process.
Vision & Mission
The mission of the Forum of Young Global Leaders is to create a dynamic global community of exceptional people with the vision, courage and influence to drive positive change in the world.
- Inspire: YGLs are motivated to use their talent and influence to be a force for good. We cultivate collective and individual leadership to help develop informed, visionary global change-makers.
- Connect: YGLs believe that by pooling their diverse skills, experiences and networks they can achieve more together. We foster collaboration in the global public interest.
- Transform: YGLs are pioneering and bold. We identify and champion ways to scale-up, amplify and accelerate their impact, to make more of a difference in their communities and beyond.
Becoming a YGL is an opportunity and a commitment. Each new class embarks on a five-year leadership journey that mobilizes their collective talents and accelerates action aimed at tackling societal, political and environmental challenges. Our goal is to create transformative experiences for next-generation leaders that enhance their skills, broaden their world view, and lead to groundbreaking initiatives.
The journey continues
When YGLs have completed the five-year programme, they are invited to join the Alumni Community, where they can continue their leadership journey and maintain their engagement with the World Economic Forum as well as YGL activities and events
Alumni serve as stewards of the Forum of Young Global Leaders, supporting the selection process and acting as valuable mentors to new members. Our alumni are crucial to our ongoing success, often providing support and guidance to new collaborations and helping to promote the impact-oriented mindset of the community.
Our growing membership of more than 1,300 members and alumni includes public officials, business innovators, artists, educators, technology developers, journalists and activists. Aligned with the World Economic Forum’s mission, we seek to spur public-private cooperation amongst these unique actors to demonstrate entrepreneurship in the global public interest. Representing more than 100 nationalities, Young Global Leaders are united by the belief that the urgent problems of today present an opportunity to forge a better future across sectors, generations and borders.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- The candidate must be born after 1 January 1984
- Has 5-15 years of recognized achievements, leadership and outstanding professional work experience.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to serve society at local and global levels, has an impeccable record in the public eye, good standing in their community, self-awareness and a desire to learn.
- Candidates from the business sector must manage a corporation or division and must hold one of the following titles (or equivalent): President, chair of the board, chief executive officer, managing director, managing partner or publisher.
- If the company is a member or partner of the World Economic Forum, the candidate requires the approval of the chief executive officer or chair of the board of the respective company.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
Deadline: April 30, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
All costs fully covered.