United States of America
Each summer, SMASH scholars spend five weeks on a college campus immersed in STEM and live among other high-potential, underrepresented (African American, Latino/a, Native American, Southeast Asian or Pacific Islander, low-income, first-in-family to attend college) high school students.
In addition to their summer courses, SMASH scholars remain engaged during the school year through monthly STEM workshops and academic programming. This includes SAT prep, college counseling, financial aid workshops, and other activities to ensure continued academic success.
The program not only reinforces the students’ STEM academic identities, but also focuses on developing their critical thinking, civic awareness, leadership and sense of social responsibility.
SMASH Academy was founded at the University of California, Berkeley in 2004. Since then, it has expanded across the Bay Area to Stanford University and into Southern California at UCLA. Our newest California location opened 2016 at the University of California, Davis. In 2017, SMASH opened its first out-of-state university site, Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia.
2018 Academy Dates
- SMASH Berkeley: June 16 – July 21, 2018
- SMASH Davis: June 23 – July 28, 2018
- SMASH Morehouse: June 9 – July 14, 2018
- SMASH Stanford: June 30 – August 4, 2018
- SMASH UCLA: June 23 – July 28, 2018
- SMASH Wayne State: July 7 – August 11, 2018
- SMASH Wharton: June 30 – August 4, 2018
ApplicationThe application for SMASH 2018 is now open! Please apply at smash.lpfi.org. The deadline is March 1, 2018.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Applicants must meet all the eligibility requirements listed below in order to be considered for SMASH (no exceptions).
1. Grade Level: Be in the 9th grade at the time of application.
2. Math Skills: Have strong mathematics skills appropriate for your grade level, as determined by the SMASH math assessment (administered to all SMASH applicants in March).
3. Attend a public high school or private high school via scholarship.
4. Location: Reside in the United States within 50 miles* of a SMASH site as determined by your zip code — check here to see if you are eligible. (*Applicants applying to SMASH Davis must reside within 75 miles.)
5. Applicants to SMASH: Morehouse College must identify as male.
The criteria below describes who we aim to serve, however, applicants do not need to fulfill any or all of the criteria to apply to SMASH.
- From groups traditionally underrepresented in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics: African American, Chicano/Latinx, Native American, Filipino, Pacific Islander, Southeast Asian (i.e. Cambodian, Hmong, Laotian, Vietnamese) or mixed race/multiracial groups with at least one parent from the above ethnicities.
- First-generation college students This means that neither one of your parents received a bachelor’s or 4-year degree (or higher) from an accredited college or university in the United States. If you have a sibling in college you are still first generation. If your parents took some courses, but did not complete a degree you are still considered first generation; and
- From a low-income family (e.g. qualifies for Free or Reduced Lunch program).
Deadline: March 01, 2018
Program Starts: June 09, 2018
Program Ends: August 11, 2018