For the purpose of promoting overseas research in Korean studies, the Korea Foundation offers program support for the Fellowship for Field Research to provide eminent overseas Korean studies scholars and experts in relevant fields with the opportunity to conduct onsite field research in Korea and access relevant resource materials.
Number of Selected Fellows Approximately 30 per year
- Application Period: July 1, 2021 (Thursday) 12:00 p.m. – August 31, 2021 (Tuesday) 6:00 p.m. (Korea Standard Time)
Please note: As system errors may occur at the end of the application period due to traffic overload, please submit your application as soon as possible. If you cannot submit your application by the due date, even if caused by a system error, the KF cannot guarantee that it will be accepted. Please be aware that the deadline for reference submissions is 6:00 p.m. KST on September 7, 2021. After that, letters of reference can no longer be submitted.
- Notification of Results: December 2021
- Fellowship Period: The field research should take place between January 1 and December 31, 2022.
Duration: 1 month (minimum) to 12 months (maximum)
Please note: The start date of the fellowship period should be no later than November 30, 2022.
Obligations of Fellows
All fellows are required to submit a final report on their research (in accordance with the KF’s standard report form) 2 weeks before the end of the fellowship period.
- Doctoral candidate (Type A) fellows must make efforts to submit their doctoral dissertation and obtain their doctorate within two years after the end of the fellowship period. Upon acquiring their doctorate, they must submit their doctoral dissertation to the KF.
- Faculty member (Type B) fellows are encouraged to publish an article in an A&HCI/SSCI/SCOPUS journal or an academic journal registered with their respective country’s ministry of education within two years after the end of the fellowship period, OR publish a book within three years after the end of the fellowship period. Any such published article or book must be submitted to the KF.
Please note: The Korea Foundation will monitor fellows’ research progress by requesting annual updates on their academic achievements for three years following the conclusion of the fellowship period. Fellows who do not fulfill their responsibilities may not be eligible for future support from the Korea Foundation.
The KF may make Fellows' research outcomes publicly available on the KF website.
All applications must be submitted via the KF Online Application Portal
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Overseas researchers who are conducting comparative or case studies in the field of Korean studies or in Korea-related areas in the fields of the humanities or social sciences, or are focusing on research topics that are closely related to Korea and recognized as important new areas of study, and fall under one of the following ‘Type A’ or ‘Type B’ criteria.
- Type A
- Doctoral candidates who have completed their required coursework and are in the process of writing their doctoral dissertation
- Type B
- Full-time lecturers or researchers with experience in teaching or research at a university or research institute
- Assistant, associate, or full professors or individuals currently in a professional or research field (PhD degree holders only)
Deadline: August 31, 2021
Program Starts: January 01, 2022
Program Ends: December 31, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
- Type A funding KRW 2,300,000
- Type B funding KRW 3,000,000
- Travel insurance coverage
- Support for entry expenses (one-time payment):
- Tenured associate professor: KRW 1,000,000
- Tenured full professor: KRW 1,500,000
- Round-trip airfare (shortest distance economy flight): Provided only to Fellows whose country of residence is included on the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) list of ODA Recipients, as per the official OECD website as of January 2, 2022 (e.g. least developed countries, other low-income countries, and lower-middle income countries; upper-middle income countries are excluded)