United States of America
A.I.R. Studio Paducah, now in its 16th year as an artist residency program, is situated in the heart of the LowerTown Arts District, Paducah, Kentucky. Since 2004, creatives from around the country and abroad have passed through A.I.R. doors to make the most of the space and a stretch of undistracted time as envisioned by founder Alonzo Davis, himself an artist.
STUDIO & EFFICIENCY APARTMENT
The A.I.R. Studio and efficiency apartment is located in the heart of the Paducah’s Lower Town Arts District and six blocks away from the Ohio River. As a resident in this setting you have the flexibility of making art in small town peace and quiet or engaging with the artist community.
Only steps away from galleries, studios, other venues of interest within walking distance are the National Quilt Museum, Yeiser Art Center, Maiden Alley Cinema, the Luther F. Carson Four Rivers Center and the McCracken County Public Library. If you can consider a longer stay check out class offerings at the nearby Paducah School of Art and Design.
A.I.R. STUDIO FACILITIES:
- Large Studio
- Ample wall & floor space
- Portable work tables & shelf
- Desk & Chair
- Utility sink
- Concrete outdoor deck & sawhorses
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- For most of its existence, A.I.R. residents have been visual and fiber artists, a few photographers and a scattering of creatives in other disciplines. The application process has since expanded and opened up to writers, architects, composers and improvisational choreographers. Geographically, A.I.R. residents hail from all over the U.S. east, west, north, south and Canada.
- A.I.R. Studio Paducah conducts a competitive selection process. Applications are peer-reviewed on a basis of the quality of past work and the applicant’s potential to have a productive residency. Applicants must be at least 21 years old. Collaborative pairs and couples are welcome.
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
- $25 Application Fee
- Residency Fee is $1000 per month, or $700 for two weeks, inclusive of utilities. Transportation, materials, food and additional expenses are the responsibility of the artists. Length of stay is negotiable.
- The residency affords the artist time and space for focused, independent work, the development of new ideas and experimentation. Visits to area cultural centers, galleries, and performance venues as well as short trips to regional arts facilities can open up a range of networking possibilities. A.I.R. itself features a storefront multi-purpose display space for exhibitions or presentations during the residency.