In accordance with Phase 1 of the ASEAN Plan of Action for Energy Cooperation (APAEC) 2016-2025, ASEAN sets an aspirational target of securing 23% of its primary energy from renewable sources by 2025 as energy demand in the region is expected to increase by 50%. The increase of awareness and public support to the development of renewable energy sector in ASEAN is central in mitigating the challenges that the region face.
As part of ASEAN’s continuous initiative to drive an integrated, competitive, and resilient region through the utilization of renewable energy, we are calling all young and talented photographers aged 18 – 30 years old from 10 ASEAN Member States to submit a photo story on the theme of “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal.” The photo competition, which is one of competition series under ASEAN Youth Energy Awards (AYEA 2021), aims to contribute to the awareness of the benefits of sustainable energy (solar, wind, hydro, tidal, and biofuel) paving the way for ASEAN’s cleaner and greener future.
Based on the photo story submissions, the 10 youth from 10 ASEAN Member States will be selected to participate in a virtual visual storytelling workshop in June 2021. The final photography projects from 10 finalists will be submitted to a Technical Evaluation Committee and a total prize of 2,000 USD will be awarded to the Top 3 Winners and the People’s Choice Award Winner, announced at the 39th ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting 2021.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Who can apply?
- Creative and talented youth that holds an ASEAN Member State passport (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) and resides in the country of citizenship.
- Amateur photographers and interested youth are encouraged to apply. Note: Professional photographers who are full-time employees or contributors of established media outlets and/or have their own photography firms are not eligible to participate.
- The applicants must be aged 18 to 30 years old at the time of the deadline of submission on 30 April 2021.
- Selected finalists must be able to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English to be able to participate in the virtual workshop.
- Selected finalists must have active Facebook and Gmail accounts for ease of communication with the trainer and other participants.
The technical evaluation committee will evaluate the photo submission. The selection criteria are outlined below:
- Adherence to the theme: The photo story clearly and creatively represents the theme of “#ASEANYouth Shaping the Vision of Sustainable Energy as the New Normal” through positive youth perspectives;
- Originality and creativity: The content is unique and not derived from other ideas and addresses the theme in an original and compelling way;
- Visual techniques: The visual content is attractive to viewers through composition and technique; and
- Potential viewer impact: The photo story conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers.
Following the evaluation process, ten participants will be selected to participate in a virtual visual storytelling workshop in June 2021.
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
A total prize of 2,000 USD will be awarded to the Top 3 Winners and the People’s Choice Award Winner, announced at the 39th ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting 2021.