Deadline: October 15, 2022
AkiraChix is a center for excellence and believes that access to education and training is of paramount importance for young women to support them in moving out of the vicious cycle of low-skills, low-productivity, and low-wage employment and as a pathway to bridging the gender gap in the Information Technology industry.
codeHive is the AkiraChix signature program. It is a one-year fully subsidized residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between 18 and 24 years from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds who have completed high school education, unable to further their education due to financial constraints.
In 2022 we intend to recruit 100 highly motivated young women from across Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda’s underserved communities. And offer market-ready technology, entrepreneurship, life-skills and leadership training.
Our students in the codeHive program also receive mentorship from East Africa’s leading names in technology and business and go on one-month work experience. They also get to attend and network at East Africa’s leading technology conferences and workshops.
As part of the program, we also push our students to not only learn but innovate. As part of graduation, students are all required to produce market-ready prototype solutions. And also support our students to find a work placement and for those entrepreneurial in heart, we also offer them 6-month incubation space on campus to set up their enterprise.
If this describes you, apply today and share it with your friends.
The codeHive course is purposefully kept free to ensure the opportunity is open and accessible to the best candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds. We believe it gives dignity to the students and provides a concrete opportunity to provide a ‘hand-up’ to the next person on the ladder once they have successfully graduated from the AkiraChix program and found gainful employment. Details of the honor system are shared with the selected candidates and a social agreement signed.
At AkiraChix we believe for any young woman to impact her community and succeed individually is based on your relationship with others. At AkiraChix sisterhood is the heart of what we do. We sum it up in the phrase, #IAMAKIRACHIX. We believe by opening yourself up to new friendships which challenge and support your growth it accelerates your personal development and the collective development of your peers. As part of the codeHive program, we heavily constitute group projects, mentorship and tech-community meetups as part of our DNA. With this vast interaction and collective growth, we build a steady community of intelligent, innovative, inspiring and impactful young women.
The application process requires you to complete a form online which you can do through your smartphone or computer with a stable internet connection. AkiraChix has also partnered with organizations across the Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda to offer support to you, if you have limited access to a computer or internet.
- Each Test Centre will have an AkiraChix certified stamp
- You will have a computer or laptop with internet connection, at your disposal to complete the online application process
- The application process will take two hours
- You will be required to carry your original National ID, Birth certificate and High School result slip and recommendation letter to the Centre, to be scanned as part of your application
Description of Ideal Candidate
To be eligible applicants must
- Completed High School no later than 2019
- Possess a High School result slip/ transcript/ Photo or your results sent via SMS
- Be a young African woman aged 18-24 years on January 2022
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Be a resident of Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or from a refugee community in these countries
- Have a passport, National ID, Alien ID or Refugee certificate of your respective country of origin
- Interested in technology or its use in bringing change to communities
- Available full-time from February 1, to December 1, 2022, and willing to live on the AkiraChix campus, in Nairobi, Kenya throughout the program
- Be a changemaker and committed to service in your community
- Demonstrate leadership i.e. be able to demonstrate your involvement in leadership activities in your community i.e at school, church/mosque/ temple etc
Deadline: October 15, 2022
Cost/funding for participants
All young women admitted to the codeHive program receive full financial assistance of US $ 4,000 per student.
This cost covers:
- One-year tuition-free learning
- Free accommodation, extracurricular activities, meals, and personal amenities.
- Training facilities including high-speed internet, biometric security control, and recreational centers
- Access to health care, including group medical insurance.
- Access to technology hubs and maker spaces in Nairobi for tech events and prototyping respectively
- Access to a selected pool of mentors, for career advice and personal growth.
- Access to 6 months incubation after the one-year codeHive program dedicated to finding and securing employment for codeHive graduates.
Internships, scholarships, student conferences and competitions.