ArcelorMittal is the world's leading steel and mining company, with a presence in more than 60 countries and an industrial footprint in over 20 countries. Guided by a philosophy to produce safe, sustainable steel, we are the leading supplier of quality steel in the major global steel markets including automotive, construction, household appliances and packaging, with world-class research and development and outstanding distribution networks.
Through our core values of sustainability, quality and leadership, we operate responsibly with respect to the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, contractors and the communities in which we operate.
For us, steel is the fabric of life, as it is at the heart of the modern world from railways to cars and washing machines. We are actively researching and producing steel-based technologies and solutions that make many of the products and components we use in our everyday lives more energy-efficient.
We are one of the world’s five largest producers of iron ore and metallurgical coal and our mining business is an essential part of our growth strategy. With a geographically diversified portfolio of iron ore and coal assets, we are strategically positioned to serve our network of steel plants and the external global market. While our steel operations are important customers, our supply to the external market is increasing as we grow.
In 2015, ArcelorMittal had revenues of US$63.6 billion and crude steel production of 92.5 million tonnes, while own iron ore production reached 62.8 million tonnes.
ArcelorMittal is listed on the stock exchanges of New York (MT), Amsterdam (MT), Paris (MT), Luxembourg (MT) and on the Spanish stock exchanges of Barcelona, Bilbao, Madrid and Valencia (MTS).
Job Details & Key Attributes
ArcelorMittal energy consumption amounts to ~90 TWh of natural gas and 64 TWh of Electricity worldwide, and very significant volumes of air gases (02, N2, Ar) and to a lower extent Hydrogen. The Group Energy team is responsible for ensuring competitive supply of Energy (6 to 7 b$ per year), from markets, contracts or assets. ArcelorMittal Energy SCA has been incorporated in 2011 as an energy supplier to buy electricity and natural gas on the European markets and deliver them to the mills.
This scheme enables the optimization of ArcelorMittal energy portfolio in Europe. The team is operational since January 2012 and is rapidly expanding its coverage, being active today in nearly 10 countries.
Within the Middle Office of ArcelorMittal Energy SCA, the Intern will have a key role to directly support the Analysts & Buyers on the following tasks:
- Market intelligence:
- Collect relevant information and market data
- Assimilate financial/market reports
- Support with analysis (economical & technical) new business and axes of development driven by Buyers
- Provide key parties with daily trading information
- Models and analysis on European energy markets:
- Determine market sentiment via research, valuation and data analysis
- Detailed analysis on production mix and marginal price cost evolution
- Develop new tools to capture additional value: multi-agent, fundamental, statistical and/or computational intelligence models may be used for several applications, such as cross-border, spreads, options valorization linked to our physical footprint, etc.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Preferable choice for Engineering schools but other profiles can be considered (M1 or M2)
- Excel skills ARE critical, programming skills (R, python, …) will be a strong plus
- Strong critical thinking/analytical skills
- Ability to think systemically and solve problems effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrate initiative, specific subject knowledge/expertise and leadership.
- Must be able to communicate effectively (both in written and verbal form)
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally within a multi-cultural environment
- Languages: Fluent English is a must. Other languages will be a plus.
- The Intern could also participate in projects and studies with the Energy Global team on subjects related to Energy and/or work with other departments of the Group. The Intern may have to strongly interact with both external and internal counterparties. Commercial approach is a must in a quick environment where decisions and opportunities are, sometimes, short-lived.
- This role, both technical and business driven, can allow the Intern to take further responsibilities and evolve in a challenging and “expanding” business. Entrepreneurship in a reduced and motivated team will allow you to participate to the blossom and development of AME and to the great opportunity to contribute to its success.