Have you tackled an issue you care deeply about? Have you changed your school or community for the better? Have you drawn in other people and helped them lead as well? Are you younger than 20? If so, you are a changemaker. You have a superpower. Know a young changemaker under 20?
All around us we see evidence that we now live in a world of accelerating change, volatility and hyperconnectivity. Yet, societies around the world continue to focus on an old idea that “success” for young people means being ready for a stable job. However, according to the World Economic Forum, "65% of children entering primary school today will ultimately end up working in completely new job types that don’t yet exist."
In a world defined by change, no one can afford to build a life around repetition, instead to be a contributor, an active player, everyone must learn to be a changemaker, a person who steps up to solve problems for the good of all. In other words, becoming a changemaker must become the new norm for growing up. In this historic moment, it is time for a big change, for a big movement. It's time for a new literacy, the Everyone a Changemaker literacy.
At the heart of this movement are the Ashoka Young Changemakers: a carefully selected network of young people who have found their power to create change for the good of all, and who are engaging their peers and the entire society in realizing a world where everyone is a changemaker.
Nominate an Ashoka Young Changemaker!
Ashoka Young Changemakers are a carefully selected network of young people who have found their power to create change for the good of all, and who are engaging their peers and the entire society in realizing a world where everyone is a changemaker. If you or someone you know fits this description, consider joining our community of leaders.
What to expect?
- Stage 1: Apply, get nominated or share your change-making journey and ideas for helping everyone similarly obtain their power, i.e., become changemakers.
- Stage 2: Talk with 3–5 social entrepreneurs and young changemakers from Ashoka’s global network. Gain insights to advance your changemaking journey.
- Stage 3: Bring a team member (and perhaps an important adult ally of your work) to an in-person discussion and selection panel, including top social entrepreneurs, journalists, and other leaders. Meet other top young changemakers and discuss ideas for co-leading an Everyone a Changemaker movement.
- Stage 4: Access resources to contribute to the movement. The panel and Ashoka will invite a select group to become Ashoka Young Changemakers.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
What are we looking for?
You are a changemaker
- 1. Your idea - You deeply empathized with a problem and from that understanding developed your own original idea for addressing it.
- 2. Your team - You built a team around this idea. You lead by helping others lead as well and find their power as changemakers.
- 3. Your world changed - You helped improve people’s lives and the environment around them. You are always committed to the good of all. You want to co-lead the global "Everyone a Changemaker" Movement
- 4. You are a co-leader - You want to help others change their worlds. You will spread changemaking among your peers and you will help co-lead the global movement to give everyone the power you have found, i.e., to be a changemaker.
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
The selected Ashoka Young Changemakers are inducted into a global community and gain access to workshops, strategic mentorship, fundraising support, media partnerships, exposure visits and more opportunities to grow themselves and their initiatives.