Every year this "Post-graduate study on Nano-Satellite Technologies (PNST)" Fellowship Programme will accept up to three students in the Masters course (2 years duration) and up to three students in the Doctorate course (3 years duration). Successful participants will be awarded a master or doctorate degree after successful thesis defence. The successful candidates will enroll in the Space Engineering International Course (SEIC) after passing an official entrance examination by the Graduate School of Kyushu Institute of Technology.
The purpose of this fellowship is to help non-space-faring nations join the community of space faring nations. Consequently, if you are selected as a PNST Fellow through the aforementioned process and you earn your advanced degree at Kyutech, you have an immense moral obligation to return to your home country and contribute to it. This is the central expectation of both UNOOSA and Kyutech.
Timeline of the Selection Process
The timeline anticipated for the selection process of the Fellowship Programme is as follows:
- From August 2019: Dissemination of information on the Fellowship Programme to potential candidates worldwide and application period.
- 19 January 2020(Sunday, 23:00 JST): Submission deadline - all application documents must be received by PNST except in exceptional cases.
- February 2020: After the first round of selection based on the application documents, the remaining candidates will be notified regarding interviews about two weeks after the submission deadline.
- February 2020: The first interview based on Skype or telephone will be held on 14 February 2020. The second interview (if necessary) based on Skype or telephone will be held after the first interview. All the applicants shall make themselves available for these days. The outcome of the skype interviews is the selection of six persons who will be offered PNST scholarships.
- March 2020: After the interviews, all PNST applicants will be informed about the outcome of their applications to PNST. We will contact you. Please do not contact us.
- February-June 2020: Discussion and finalization of research and study plan between the successful candidates and their supervisors.
- March 2020: Selected candidates must send original certificates of graduation and original transcripts with explanation of transcripts to Kyutech. If any documents are written in any language other than English, official translations are also required.
- July 2020: Official entrance exam to Kyutech. Formal admission and administration to obtain student visa.
- August 2020: Travel arrangements for the candidates to Japan Candidates need to find and book temporary accommodations in Japan by themselves.
- September 2020: Arrival in Japan and finding accommodation. Official enrollment procedures at Kyutech.
- October 2020: Beginning of the Fellowship Programme at Kyutech.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Be nationals of developing countries or non-space-faring nations (countries without an established substantial capability to develop space technology/launch space objects);
- Be duly nominated by their institutions;
- Born on or after 2 April 1985;
- Should have the academic and professional background required by the specific fellowship programme. Candidates seeking a Master degree are expected to have completed studies ending with a Bachelor Degree or equivalent (4 year university degree) in engineering-related subjects. Candidates seeking a Doctorate degree are expected to have completed studies ending with a Master Degree or equivalent (5 years university degree) in engineering-related subjects. Degrees in different technological fields can be considered by the Doctor Commission; and
- Be able to make professional use of the experience gained in the fellowship programme.
Deadline: January 19, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
The selected candidates will each receive a grant under Japanese government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) scholarship (Research Students) of approximately 144,000 JPY per month for the duration of their fellowship study (2 or 3 years) to cover housing, food, local transportation, and other expenses. Each candidate will be provided, according to his/her itinerary and route as designated by MEXT, an economy class air ticket between an international airport in the country of his/her nationality and Narita International Airport or Fukuoka International Airport. Fees for matriculation, tuition and entrance examinations will be paid by Kyutech.