Belarus in Focus Information Office in partnership with Press Club Belarus announces Belarus in Focus 2017 – 7th edition of an international competition for journalists writing about Belarus in international media.
’Belarus in Focus 2017’ is the seventh edition of a competition for journalists who publish about Belarus in the international media.
Our goal is to encourage journalists and editors to pay attention to ongoing events and trends in Belarus – political, economic, social, and cultural. By creating a place for exchange and debate, we hope to contribute to understanding about Belarus, and help to overcome Belarus’ isolation.
We accept articles about Belarusian politics, economy, international relations, culture, and everything related to Belarus.
The articles will be evaluated by an international jury consisting of top media professionals.
We accept articles about Belarus published between January 1st, 2017 and December 31st, 2017.
The deadline for applications is March, 15th 2018.
- Andrei Aliaksandrau (Belarus), editor of Belarusian journal
- Ilya Azar (Russia), special correspondent of Novaya Gazeta
- Argemino Barro (Spain), U.S. correspondent for Capital Radio
- Andrew Jack (UK), head of curated content at the Financial Times
- Tamina Kutscher (Germany), editor-in-chief of dekoder.org
We recommend sending your articles translated into English, which is the main language of the competition. However, jury members will also be able to read your articles in Belarusian, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, French, German, Spanish, Czech, and Italian and recommend the best articles for translation.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- There are no restrictions on nationality, citizenship, or place of residence.
- We particularly encourage Belarusian journalists to enter.
- The Competition is not open to employees of Belarus in Focus Information Office or their family members, or anyone else directly connected to the Competition.
There are two categories:
- Professional: if you have over 3 years’ experience in having your work published
- Beginner: if you have under 3 years’ experience in having your work published*
Please be aware that:
- You can only submit the article if you are the author/coauthor. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted.
- You should have permission from the chief editor of the newspaper/magazine/electronic media that published your article (the online form will ask you to tick a box to confirm this).
- Any evidence of plagiarism may result in your work being removed from the Competition.
What are the judges looking for?
Your article may be about any issue relating to Belarus – politics, society, economic or cultural. The jury will be looking for in-depth articles with fresh, original ideas which contribute something new to an international audience’s understanding about Belarus.
Deadline: March 15, 2018
Cost/funding for participants:
Winners will receive:
- professional journalists (over 3 years of experience): x3 certificates of 500 EUR for professional development (a journalist trip to Belarus, paid educational programs, equipment, etc.)
- beginner journalists (under 3 years of experience): x3 certificates of 300 EUR for professional development (a journalist trip to Belarus, paid educational programs, equipment, etc.)