Austria Germany Netherlands
Cartography M.Sc. is a four semester Master of Science Programme of four universities in Munich, Vienna, Dresden and Twente. It focusses on a broad education in cartography and geoinformatics. The full-time programme awards a total of 120 ECTS and is to be completed in two years. Students obtain 30 ECTS in each semester/at each university and 30 ECTS for their Master thesis.
During the 1st semester at TUM, the foundations in cartography and geovisualization are taught. In the 2nd semester at TUWstudents gain knowledge in multimedia cartography, especially in web mapping, mobile internet and location-based services (LBS). Students specialize in mobile cartography and 3D cartography in the 3rd semester at TUD. During the first and third semester, online modules from the University of Twente are integrated in the curriculum.
The curriculum is structured in complementary and consecutive modules. It is based on lectures, exercises, seminars and project works. In the beginning of the 3rd semester, an 11 days alpine field school within the module Georelief and Cartography takes place.
The four partner sites represent centers of excellence in the field of cartography, recognized at the European and global levels.
The Chair of Cartography of TUM, the Research Division Cartography of TUW, the Institute of Cartography of TUD and the Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation of UT complement each other in an ideal way to provide an exceptional programme with excellent job employment prospects in this interdisciplinary field.
The composition is a complementary approach of the partners’ different research and educational profiles in an area where each partner is a leader in their own country and recognized internationally. With a very high concentration of scientific competence in cartography and cartography-related fields, the programme is outstanding not only in Europe.
The programme takes place at all four cooperating universities and is completely taught in English. Students stay together as a group during the whole time and have to spend their 1st semester at TUM in Germany. Then they have to study the 2nd semester at TU Vienna in Austria. After that they study their 3rd semester at TU Dresden in Germany. During the first and third semester, online modules from the University of Twente are integrated in the curriculum. In the 4th semester students prepare their Master’s thesis at one of the four participating universities.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Selection of course participants will also be based on:
- Motivation and talent;
- Academic qualification and academic potential (knowledge in cartography, computer science, mathematics, geodesy, other geo, natural and environmental sciences);
- Study progress and results obtained in previous education (e.g. based on GPA);
- Letters of recommendation;
- Practical experience in the geo field will be an advantage.
Deadline: May 31, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
Please note that there are no Erasmus Mundus scholarships available for the intake 2021‒2023.
- The DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service, provides a comprehensive scholarship database: www.daad.de
- Also TUM provides scholarships for international students: www.tum.de/en/studies/fees-and-financial-aid
- You may also start your search for other scholarships at the webpage of the Cartography M.Sc. partner University of Twente, Faculty ITC. See: https://www.itc.nl/Fellowships