At the LHoFT, we strongly believe that financial technology is crucial to advancing financial inclusion, empowering groups that have been left behind by the traditional financial system. Whether it’s financing for rural farmers, point of sale technology for underbanked merchants, or specialised insurance products, the positive impact being driven by entrepreneurship is improving lives around the world. As such, Financial Inclusion is a key focus of the LHoFT Foundation. Building on the success of the 2018 and 2020 editions of CATAPULT: Inclusion Africa, we are excited to launch the third edition of this unique program of Fintech startup development.
Developed by the LHoFT Foundation, the program targets companies focusing on financial inclusion in Africa, aiming to build bridges between Africa and Europe, highlighting their initiatives and very much aligned with the sustainability goals of Luxembourg’s finance centre. In keeping with the times, and with public health guidelines, this edition will be entirely digital.
CATAPULT: Inclusion Africa will once again leverage Luxembourg’s Inclusive Finance and Fintech ecosystem to support selected firms in developing their businesses and achieving their inclusion goals. Applications now open.
Online 19th - 28th of May, 2021
Full schedule and required tools will be shared with selected participants.
- Luxembourg is the European leader in responsible investment fund assets, accounting for 31% of funds and 39% of all assets under management, and has an extensive ecosystem of supporting initiatives and institutions
- The Luxembourg government is committed to the eradication of extreme poverty and support for sustainable development
- Luxembourg has exceeded official development assistance aid donations set by the UN’s Millennium Development Goals, committing an average 1% of gross national income over the past 5 years
- Luxembourg facilitated the establishment of the European Microfinance Platform and has spearheaded field research in the inclusive finance sector
- The Luxembourg government, together with the European Investment Bank and six other partners from the civil and private sectors, set up a Responsible Investing fund labelling agency, LuxFLAG
- Fintech in financial inclusion is a strategic focus area for the LHoFT aligned with the goals of Luxembourg
- The 2019 European Microfinance Award on “Strengthening Resilience to Climate Change” has been delivered on the 21st November 2019 in Luxembourg
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- The firms selected to participate to the programme will be operational, likely in the seed to Series A stage. However, each application will be assessed individually for promise and with consultation with our sponsors.
- We expect the majority of the selected firms to be based in Africa, but firms targeting Africa from other geographies, particularly from the EU, may also apply.
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Program Starts: May 19, 2021
Program Ends: May 28, 2021