One of CERN’s key missions is education. Our professionals very much enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise with students who are committed and passionate about their chosen field. And there’s no better way to learn than on-the-job: when that job happens to be with a world-famous research organisation and centre of scientific excellence, it’s even better.
Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are you looking for a training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Online Summer Student Programme!
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Take part in CERN’s Online Summer Student Programme!
Over a period of up to three months, you will work on an advanced technical project as part of an experimental, engineering or computing team. During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of online lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing. Find out more on the Summer Student information page. A short report on your work project will be expected at the end of your online internship.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2021, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your online studentship with CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2021 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not previously been a Summer Student at CERN (please note that exceptionally, students who took part in the 2020 online learning initiative are eligible to apply).
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Online Summer Student Programme.
Deadline: January 31, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
CERN would very much like to benefit from your commitment and passion, and in return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of up to three months to work on a technical project.
- An extensive online physics lecture programme (you will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by CERN openlab).
- A modest stipend ( to be defined)
- Virtual social events for all the participants to create and nurture the community of 2021 Online Summer Students.
- Online workshops