Dr Cecil Renaud, a well-known Durban Philanthropist, established The Cecil Renaud Educational and Charitable Trust in 1988. Dr Renaud passed away on 3 June 1993 and bequeathed the residue of his estate to the Trust. Shortly after the Trust became active, the trustees established the Overseas Scholarship.
The Overseas Scholarship, granted annually to one or two students, is awarded for a maximum of two years for post-graduate study (Masters degree (or equivalent) or PhD) in the United Kingdom at a university of the student’s choice.
Since 1994, we have awarded 28 scholarships to the best and brightest young South Africans. In past years students who have been awarded the Scholarship have attended, inter alia, the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford and the University of London across a wide range of disciplines. This Scholarship is available only to students who completed their secondary schooling at any school in KwaZulu-Natal, and you must be in your final year of a postgraduate honours degree, or four year undergraduate degree.
Dr Léon Cecil Mapleson Renaud, known as Cecil, was born in 1904 in Durban, South Africa and educated at Durban High School.
in 1934 he joined the board of the SS Frontier Company, replacing its founder; his late father. The company is now known today as Unicorn Tankers.
He was also a successful sugar farmer in KwaZulu-Natal and a philanthropist. Passionate about education, he made significant donations to Natal University, now UKZN, as well as other secondary and tertiary institutions in KZN. The Cecil Renaud Library on the Pietermaritzburg campus was named after him.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2022 CECIL RENAUD OVERSEAS SCHOLARSHIP CLOSE ON THE 31ST OF OCTOBER 2021.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Applicants should have attained, or aim to achieve, undergraduate or Honours degree(s) cum laude or summa cum laude; and additionally, have achieved Dean’s Commendations and Certificates of Merit or equivalent.
- WILL LEAVE BIG FOOTPRINTS: We're looking for candidates who will have a significant impact on their field of study, and the world.
- ATTENDED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN KZN: Applicants must have completed a major part of their secondary schooling in KwaZulu-Natal, and be under the age of 27 at the time of applying for the scholarship.
- STUDYING AT A SOUTH AFRICAN UNIVERSITY: The scholarship is open to postgraduate students who have completed or are currently studying towards an Honours degree; or a four year undergraduate degree.
- EVIDENCE OF FOCUS, COMMITMENT, STAMINA AND LEADERSHIP: A good track record in extracurricular activities and a drive to succeed and uplift South Africa.
- ANY FIELD OF STUDY: Former scholars have read towards varied fields including an MPhil in Development Studies, an MA in Applied Theology, an MSc in Mathematics and an MA in Singing.