Deadline: As soon as possible
India Malawi Mozambique Zambia
The DRH Lindersvold is a non-profit organization with a mission to inspire and empower ordinary people to take action against worldwide poverty. We address the issues of our time with unique teaching and learning environments that cultivate social change and support our global vision: a sustainable future.
The International Development Programme is a training initiative that allows people from all over the world to build their understanding around some of the biggest issues of our time while preparing to assist community-driven projects in Zambia, Malawi or Mozambique.
The first period will begin with studying history, the underlying causes of poverty, its effects on people and project-oriented solutions. In between studies volunteers also carry out field investigations learning about social issues through conversations with people and experts.
After a six month project period follows, where you will live and work with your team in a community in either Zambia, Malawi or Mozambique. Here you will work as a volunteer with a community-led longterm project within one of the Humana People to People’s focus areas. They can include Health, Education, Agriculture, Community Development or Environment.
After the project, you will arrive back to A one month where you will conclude and prepare presentations and information materials from your experience and presenting them for people around Europe.
Train (3 months)
PERIOD 1 ANOTHER KIND OF SCHOOL
The first week will lay important foundations for the programme by starting out with an in-depth introduction to the programme with all its learning elements and group dynamics
PERIOD 2 THE WORLD OF PEOPLE AND POLITICS
Volunteers are introduced to Historical Materialism and dig into the driving forces of development in the world today, gaining a thorough understanding about the growing gap between rich and poor by putting up questions and statements – then studying and debating to find answers.
PERIOD 3 HUMANA PEOPLE TO PEOPLE
The team are presented to the history and work of Humana People to People, along with the available positions for the Humana project period. Trios are formed. Communication with the Project Leaders start.
PERIOD 4 THE FIGHT OF THE POOR
In this period the team learns important hard-hitting facts about the conditions of marginalized communities throughout history and in today’s world. With this knowledge The team prepares and carries out a 3 day investigation to meet people in the area around the school, than followed by a 4 day action to work on their practical skills while improving the place they live
PERIOD 5 ZOOMING IN ON OPEN FUTURE
In period 5 volunteers study about the risks that our way of life today presents to our planet and people of the future along with the consequences in the form of the environmental rift that threatens all life on the planet. During this period the team uses 5 days to make an action that has a positive impact on a group of people.
PERIOD 6 NOW WE KNOW, NOW WE UNDERSTAND, NOW WE TAKE ACTION
last two weeks will be used for the Trios to finalise detailed plans for the Last period of getting their message out, along with completing the project skills training required for the Humana project period, and to show the Project Leader they are ready for action.
Volunteer (6 months)
HITTING THE GROUD RUNNING – 2 WEEKS
This short period is all about arriving well at the Humana People to People project, being welcomed and quickly acclimatizing to become able and ready for the longer period of working with people at the Project.
- Welcome and introduction from the National Headquarter
- Introduction period at the project and getting to know Project Leader, project staff and members of the community
- Start up with the work as a Development Instructor
- Getting into the routines of the work
- Introduced to Public Diplomacy work at the project
- Define goals for the next 2 months with the Project Leader
WORKING WITH THE PROJECT
In this period, volunteers are working with communties to for example increase food production, secure good nutrition by starting garden farming, give the children a kick-start by establishing pre-schools, improve health by eradicating diseases, improve rural life by installing access to clean water in the community. Even more many volunteers also finds ways to fundraise or find materials that can be donated to their project.
- Monthly detailed planning within the framework of the project activities together with Project Leader and project staff
- Make 12-week production plans to guide your work
- Organise a big event at the project in cooperation with the project activities
- Work towards reaching your goals within the project and evalute monthly
- Handover activities to the project staff and community
- Conclusion report and conclusion meeting
Reflect (6 months)
BRINGING IT TO THE PUBLIC PERIOD
Back at the DRH school, the team finds the best ways to spread the vision of creating change. The message about The Poor is brought to people with creative methods to show that Fighting with The Poor is possible, is needed and is happening right now. Decisions about Open Future are laid out and worked with.
- 3 day session to conclude on the period at the project
- Discussions about the Open Future
- The common meeting qualifies the materials and presentations
- Make the last touches to the materials for the period
- 2 weeks of Bringing It to the Public
- Final conclusions and hand over to the next Core Groups
- It’s Show Time and graduation
Opportunity is About
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate
- We require that you are 18+ years old and that you are able to read and speak basic English.
Deadline: As soon as possible
Cost/funding for participants
You will receive a certificate from Humana People to People proving the completion of your project period together with a reference letter from the school that can be used for any application in the future.
Internships, scholarships, student conferences and competitions.