Austria Belgium Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Ireland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Netherlands Poland Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden United Kingdom Worldwide
DiscoverEU is an initiative of the European Union that gives you the opportunity to discover Europe through learning experiences. Travelling predominantly by rail (there are exceptions to allow those living on islands or in remote areas), you will discover Europe’s stunning landscapes and its variety of cities and towns. Young people can apply during the two application rounds which take place each year. Successful applicants are awarded with a travel pass.
As an 18-year-old citizen of the European Union, DiscoverEU offers you the opportunity to participate in a travel experience that will enable you to take advantage of the freedom of movement throughout the European Union, explore the diversity of Europe while travelling, learn about European cultural heritage and history, and connect with people from all over the continent. Furthermore, DiscoverEU enables you, as a young person, to develop life skills of value to your future, such as independence, confidence, and openness to other cultures.
When is the next round?
Wondering about the next round of applications? If conditions across Europe allow, we will do our best to put DiscoverEU back on track from 12/10/2021 to 26/10/2021 and offer new chances to win one of the 60.000 travel passes! Continue to follow our social media channels in the meantime, in particular our #DiscoverEU Official Facebook Group - we will keep you posted!
If you are selected, you can travel for a period of minimum 1 day and up to 30 days between 1 July 2022 and 28 February 2023. Note that if you have a disability or a health problem that makes your trip challenging, you will receive assistance and support to help you take part in DiscoverEU.
You can go solo or add up to 4 friends in your group provided they meet the eligibility conditions above. They will use your application code to submit their own application. You can also organise meet-ups and combine travel plans with other DiscoverEU travellers!
The European Commission would like to hear back from the young travellers and encourages them to share their experiences and adventures. That is why, once selected, all participants become DiscoverEU Ambassadors. They are invited to share their travel experiences through social media tools like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, or by providing a presentation at their school or their local community. Participants are welcome to join the #DiscoverEU official Facebook Group.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
To be eligible, you need to:
- Have been born between 1 July 2002 (included) and 30 June 2003 (included);
- Have the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Union at the time of the award decision;
- Complete the correct ID or passport number on the online application form.
Then you will need to participate in a quiz (unless you apply as a group member).
Deadline: October 26, 2021
Program Starts: July 01, 2020
Program Ends: February 28, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
The basic rule is that each participant will be entitled to a travel pass worth EUR 258. Travel will only be in 2nd class. However, this amount can be higher in the exceptional cases referred to below:
- For participants travelling from the outermost regions (e.g. Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, la Réunion, Mayotte, Saint-Martin, Madeira, Azores and Canary Islands) to mainland Europe. Once the participants land on the continent, the basic rule applies;
- For participants outside the above-mentioned outermost regions who are entitled to travel by plane to mainland Europe. Once on the continent, the basic rule applies;
- In some specific situations to be assessed on a case-by-case basis (e.g. for selected applicants residing in islands part of the EU) an extra journey by train/ferry/coach, might be covered;
- For participants with reduced mobility and/or special needs. Costs to be assessed on a case by case basis according to their needs. Costs of special assistance (accompanying person, dog for visually impaired participants, etc.) might be covered based on the appropriate documents for justifying their special needs, as required under the national law of the residence Member State.