The Engage Art Contest is the creation of longtime art appreciators and philanthropists, Bill and Linda Bantz. Bill felt a strong calling from God to re-introduce artists to a wonderful source of inspiration – the Holy Scriptures. Bill and Linda feel that now is the time for this generation to contribute a contemporary take to the depiction of the grand story shared in the Bible. The themes are evergreen and provide fodder for a broad array of artistic response. And rest assured, when using Scripture as inspiration for artwork, artists are in good company!
For centuries, artists such as Bach, Mozart, Chagall, Dali and Matisse were inspired to create magnificent works based on Scripture.
Thus, the Engage Art Contest was born. A juried competition for original Visual Art and Video, (Film, Music Video and Performing Arts) the Engage Art Contest calls to artists of all skill levels to share their talents and insights based on the contest topic: the Spiritual Battle described in Ephesians 6:10-20 and related verses. Download/sign-up in our mobile app, which will help you engage Scripture (including our contest topic).
The 2021 contest will accept submissions from April 15, 2021 through April 14, 2022.
The Engage Art Contest seeks to mine the deep vein of artistic creativity around a scriptural theme that is both laser-focused and eternal. The Spiritual Battle has raged from before recorded history until the present moment. Humans play a critical and sometimes unwitting part in this confrontation between Good and Evil. The Word of God is meant to aid us in this endeavor. His Word provides both our offense and our defense, critical information, a playbook, inspiration, direction, sanctuary and fortification.
Engage Art creates a space for artists to express their vision of the Spiritual Battle, inviting all artists to reflect on this critical spiritual dynamic.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
WHO CAN ENTER?
Anyone 18 or older.
Anyone younger than 18 can be part of a team, as long as:
- they have permission from their parent or guardian.
- there is at least one team member 18 or older to act as the legal Entrant.
Artists from all backgrounds have taken inspiration from Christian Scriptures for millennia. This contest is for anyone interested in using the arts to engage the themes around the Spiritual Battle. We invite everyone—novice to professional—to submit original work.
- Confirmation of eligibility—including age and confirmation that you have an active Engage Art App account (free).
- Artist bio
- Images of your visual art and digital versions of your video. Art file limits: 400 mb file size limit; visual art–up to 5 images; all videos-up to 3 minutes.
- Title, Medium/Genre, Dimensions (for Visual Art), Instrumentation and Lyrics/Transcript (for Music Videos, Film and Performing Arts Videos) and Description
- Explanation of how artwork illuminates the Spiritual Battle/relates to Ephesians 6:10-20
- Credits for each team member
Deadline: April 14, 2022
Cost/funding for participants: