Austria France Italy Japan Worldwide
FEA was established as a 501(c)(3) organization in 2010 to address the need for an independent study abroad scholarship provider. Applicants from groups underrepresented in study abroad are given preference, in an effort to make the demographics of US undergraduates studying abroad reflect the rich diversity of the US population. Since 2010, FEA has awarded $1.8 million in scholarships to 466 undergraduates, helping students from all over the United States follow their dreams abroad.
The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the US study abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting minority, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs.
The deadline for the Spring 2022 scholarship application is September 15, 2021 at 12pm (noon) EST.
FEA invests in deserving U.S. undergraduates who are least likely to study abroad. More than 100 volunteer reviewers read applications each cycle. In partnership with them, we consider financial need, demographic factors, and academic plan and preparedness to decide our scholarship recipients.
- Financial Need is determined by the FEA Financial Aid Form we provide when you begin an application.
- Demographic Factors that are considered include minority background, first-generation college student status, and community college experience.
- Academic Plan and Preparedness is determined by your essays, unofficial transcript, and letter of recommendatio
What you’ll need
- Complete the application form online
- Print the Financial Aid Form and bring it to your university’s financial aid office. Someone from that office should complete the form and give it back to you for your to upload to your online application.
- Upload your unofficial transcript to your online application.
- Submit the name and email of your recommender. After your recommender submits your letter of recommendation, you must go back into the application to click submit.
- Make sure ALL application materials are uploaded and submitted before the deadline to be considered for an FEA scholarship.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
To be eligible for an FEA scholarship, you must be:
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S. (graduate students are not eligible)
- Study abroad program must be eligible for credit at the student’s home institution
- Study abroad program must be at least 4 weeks (28 days) in country/countries
Deadline: September 15, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
In our last application cycle, 36% of scholars were awarded Access Partner scholarships. FEA’s Access Partners join in the shared commitment to increase the number of underrepresented American college students studying abroad. FEA scholarship applicants participating on programs hosted by providers in our Access Partner Program may be eligible for financial support of up to $5,000.
FEA GENERAL SCHOLARSHIPS
If you are not attending a program with one of our Access Partners, don’t worry! FEA also offers many funding opportunities through the FEA General Scholarship fund. FEA Scholarships are made possible through individuals and organizations that support our mission of increasing access to education abroad.