Ireland Online Worldwide
The Young Researchers Awards is an annual programme aimed at fostering innovative research and discovery in biodiversity informatics. The YRAs provide prizes to two graduate students—generally one Master’s candidate and one Ph.D candidate—nominated by GBIF Participant countries.
Since its inception in 2010, the GBIF Young Researchers Award has sought to encourage innovation in the use and mobilization of biodiversity data shared through the GBIF network.
Calls for nominations go out each spring, and interested students must submit applications to the Head of Delegation of a GBIF Participant country. These national delegations are responsible for forwarding a maximum of two nominations to the GBIF Secretariat.
Graduate students wishing to be considered for the nominations should consult the websites of their national GBIF Participants or contact the Head of Delegation or node manager directly. The GBIF Secretariat and national Participants whose nominees are selected to receive the award are announced just before GBIF’s annual Governing Board meeting.
The next call will open in January 2022.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Candidates must be enrolled in a university graduate programme to be eligible for the award.
- Candidates must be either citizens of a country participating in GBIF or students at an institution located in a GBIF participant country.
- Nomination can come either from the country of citizenship or from the country of the candidate’s host institution.
The criteria for the awards include:
- Originality and innovation
- Use of and strategic significance for data accessed through GBIF
- Measurable effectiveness and impact in advancing biodiversity informatics and/or the conservation of biological diversity
Proposals that are not selected may be updated and resubmitted for consideration in subsequent years.
Awardees are expected to acknowledge GBIF support when disseminate research results via peer-reviewed publications, presentations at professional meetings, and other media.
Deadline: May 31, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
Two awards of €5,000 prizes each.