United States of America
To start the application process, you will need an updated CV or resume and a current unofficial or official transcript in English. Click on the “Apply” button on this page and provide the required materials in the appropriate sections (PDFs preferred):
- 1. In the “Resume Section:” attach an updated CV or resume.
- 2. In the “Education Section:” attach a current or recent unofficial or official transcript in English.
- Under “Degree Status,” select “Now attending” to upload a transcript.
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; Bellevue, WA, USA; Cambridge, MA, USA; Irvine, CA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; Los Angeles, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA; Palo Alto, CA, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA.
About the job
Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, an executive speaker series, and community-building. This program will give you an opportunity to work on complex computer science solutions, to develop scalable, distributed software systems, and also to collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal - which requires research, awareness, interactivity, and the ability to ask the right questions.
From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google Engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another. We focus on being a collaborative, global organization consisting of engineers who are ready to address some of technology's greatest challenges. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will work on our core products and services as well as those which support key functions of our engineering operations. Depending on your background and experience, you will be working in one of the following areas:
- Product and Systems Development: Whether it's finding new and innovative ways to advance search quality, building computing platform and networking technologies, automating the indexing of videos, or continuing to refine and scale complex auction systems (just to name a few), you will be developing solutions to some of the most technical challenges out there. You will research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google's product offerings, and collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information. Examples of specialist domains include: UI development with AJAX and similar technologies, security, embedded systems and mobile apps (Android), developer tools (IDEs, large-scale build systems, compilers).
- Engineering Productivity: The Engineering Productivity team addresses a broad set of complex technical challenges for optimizing Google's software development lifecycle. As a member of this team, you will use your analysis, design, and programming skills to build innovative solutions for the next-generation infrastructure related to build, test, release, and monitoring of large scale applications. You will also explore new approaches to automation, challenge the status-quo, and fundamentally improve the workflow for Google engineers.
- Site Reliability: Software Engineers working in Site Reliability are involved in every facet of Google's production and work on the cutting edge of cloud-based computing. As a member of this team, you are in the thick of everything involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting-edge services; from monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. Software Engineers on this team love to create robust and scalable software that scales to tens of millions of users. You will handle challenging, novel situations every day, and work with just about every other Engineering and Operations team to provide services and applications that are quintessentially Google - fast, reliable and accessible to all.
- Apply knowledge gained in computer science courses to real-world challenges.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution to effectively solve challenges.
- Develop scripts to automate routine tasks.
- Create and support a productive and innovative team. This includes working with peers, managers, and teams.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience in Software Development and coding in a general purpose programming language.
- Returning to or enrolling in a Master's degree program after completion of the internship.
- Experience with Data Structures or Algorithms gathered from: completing a data structures or algorithms class, coursework, course projects, research, individual projects, internships, or other practical experience inside or outside of school or work (including open source hobby coding).
- Experience working with some of the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.