Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 13,000 employees across the world. We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Programme
We are looking for graduates with strong interpersonal skills, who are eager to learn and broaden their knowledge and expertise. You have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree with up to 3 years professional experience – we invite you to apply to our graduates@swissre programme 2021.
The programme offers you the chance to join the dynamic, fast-moving world of a leading risk knowledge organisation. Over an 18-month period, you’ll receive on-and-off-the-job training, including a job rotation that gives you the opportunity to work across different business units.
About the role
We will recruit you for the Property Underwriting team. Property Underwriting which includes transactional underwriting and costing of property business is done in close collaboration with Client Management. Property Underwriters are assessing all the risks associated to property (including fire risk and natural catastrophe risks). Regular client visits and trainings are also part of the work. In addition, underwriters are also involved in the development of new products and strategies for the fast emerging markets in Asia.
About the team
The property treaty department (Asia hub) is responsible for high quality underwriting of property business within the Asia-Pacific region and within stated underwriting authorities. It delivers timely and customized solutions which add value for both client and Swiss Re which special focus on natural catastrophe and emerging markets. Our department has underwriting desks at the following locations: Sydney, Tokyo, Beijing and Singapore.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Successfully completed university degree or equivalent in Actuarial Science, Physics, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Geography, Natural Science or Statistics
- Excellent oral and written English skills; additional language skills advantageous
- Strong interest in/motivation to learn about insurance/reinsurance
- Specific skills required for each graduate role
- Have excellent academic grades
- Are goal-oriented achievers who work well with others
- Are problem-solvers who can deal with complexity and approaches problems with curiosity and openmindedness, is a fast learner
- Innovative, showing a high degree of own initiative
- Team-player, willingness to contribute actively to the overall team spirit
- Ability and enthusiasm to work in a global and multicultural environment
- Ability to express him-/herself effectively in one-on-one conversations and small groups
- Mature & self-confident; ability to face clients, business partners and senior colleagues
- Ability to readily adapt to different ways of doing things
- Proven ability to work independently, with minimal instruction and monitoring
- Strong analytical skills and ability to focus on details without losing track of the bigger picture
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)