The IRAS Foundation was created in the fall of 2008. In the fall of 2008 IRAS professor dr Bert Brunekreef has been awarded the dr A.H Heinekenprijs for Environmental Sciences. Prof Brunekreef chooses to use this award to increase knowledge on the relationship between environmental factors and public health. This award was the starting point to establish the IRAS Foundation.
IRAS is the Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences of Utrecht University, located in Utrecht, the Netherlands. It is an interfaculty research institute within the faculties Veterinary Medicine, Medicine, Sciences of Utrecht University. Support is also provided by the National Institute of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) in Bilthoven, and by TNO Quality of Life, Zeist.
The mission of IRAS is to provide education and research on the human health risks of exposure to potentially harmful agents in the environment, at the workplace and through the food chain. Effects on ecosystems are also considered.
The research takes places within three domains:
- Environmental Epidemiology and
- Veterinary Public Health.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Applicants should have at least a BSc degree in
- Environmental Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
Next to these academic qualification applicants must show
- good study results
- good proficiency in English
- other means of income
The objective of the IRAS foundation is to provide financial support for
- students enrolled in the Utrecht University MSc programme on Toxicology and Environmental Health, or
- students enrolled in the Utrecht University MSc programme Epidemiology, with specialization Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology
- students pursuing a PhD education with IRAS and
- who are financially incapable of covering all costs involved with this education.
Students with a Dutch nationality can not apply for this support.
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
Each academic year (September- September) €25,000 euro is available for scholarships. Scholarships can consist of
- (partial) fee waiver (max €6,250/year)
- (partial) support in travel, accommodation and living costs
Each student can apply for a maximum of €12,500 for the total period of 2 years.