United States of America
The successful candidates should have the proven ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team environment. The Research Assistants will be responsible for a wide range of support including, but not limited to, data gathering, econometrics, analysis of economic or statistical data sets, and basic programming for high-quality analyses.
This is a contractual appointment for one year, renewable for up to four years of cumulative contractual service, depending on the business need and performance of the incumbent.
Research assistant positions are filled with candidates physically residing in the local Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area.
Supports departmental objectives on economic analysis and managing information technology & systems. Analyzes and computes statistical and economic data in support of the department. Additionally, the RA will manage Fund database(s) and contribute to staff reports.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Compiles statistical data, compares and evaluates alternative data sources, and ensures consistency of series and definitions.
- Computes data collected using statistical and econometric techniques and develops summary analysis, including summary tables and charts for various reports.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive and fully documented cross-country databases in accordance with Fund-wide data management requirements on an ad-hoc basis.
- Maintains relevant computer software, and writes, updates, modifies, and executes computer programs for statistical and econometric analysis. Initiates analytical work, especially the econometric analysis, underpinning the work of relevant papers and publications produced by the work unit. Participates in divisional/departmental research projects, and drafts targeted notes on selected issues of relevance to the division's /department’s work program. Participates in occasional departmental missions and liaises with country authorities, academia, or financial institutions.
Our work on the macroeconomic benefits of challenges such as empowering women, modernizing the global trading system, wage inequity, and climate change, provides new ideas to safeguard the stability of the international monetary and financial system and addresses the world's most pressing macroeconomic and financial issues . Our 2,800 dedicated employees are leaders in their fields and collaborate to address the needs of our members and make a meaningful, positive difference to lives across the globe.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science or other related quantitative field, but more competitive candidates would have a Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Two years of relevant work experience in a similar role.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, including basic functions and formulas.
- Proficiency in the use of analytical, statistical and econometric software packages such as STATA, Eviews, R, TSP, SPSS, Matlab and SAS.
- Experience working with finance, budget, people analytics, macroeconomic data and writing macroeconomic research reports.
- Experience and ability to use a range of visual presentation tools such as PowerPoint, MS Excel charts, Tableau, Keynote, Prezi and other similar tools.
- Familiarity with database management tools such as: Power BI, SQL, MS Access, IBM Cognos BI
- Knowledge of Python, C++ and other similar programming tools would be a plus.
In addition, the following competencies are critical to the position:
- Proven ability to manage large and complex databases and develop summary analysis, including summary tables and charts, and sound analytical and problem-solving skills including a knowledge of statistical applications and techniques.
- Sound organizational and data management skills, and ability to handle several responsibilities and work under tight time constraints.
- Ability to work without direct supervision, paying close attention to detail and bearing independent responsibility for data accuracy.
- Proven experience in dealing with all levels of staff in responding to a wide range of inquiries.
- Ability to use tact, discretion, and sound judgment when dealing with clients and in handling confidential information.
Deadline: December 30, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
In addition to the reward of contributing to our mission of global prosperity and economic security, we provide you with a comprehensive, world-class benefits package.
Working as part of the IMF team in a collaborative and supportive environment, you will address many of the most complex and challenging issues facing the global economy and make a measurable and direct impact on the welfare of people around the world. The IMF attracts people who want their work to matter, are motivated by working in a truly multicultural environment, and are passionate about our mission of achieving global economic stability, either as economists or as part of our highly-skilled specialized professional and administrative staff.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., one of the world’s most vibrant and livable cities, the IMF offers a challenging and rewarding career, combined with great work-life balance, and the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of people around the world.