In 2015, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan has launched “Japan’s Friendship Ties Programs” which promote people-topeople exchanges between Japan and the various nations of the Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, Caucasus, Central Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean, and to encourage an understanding of Japan’s economy, society, history, diverse culture, politics and diplomatic relations among participants. Since 2015 to 2018, the programs count 24,480 participants would be sent to or from Japan and these countries. Participants are expected to proactively disseminate information on Japan’s attractions and contribute to promoting sustained attention to Japan. The Europe regional component of this exchange program is called “MIRAI”.
“MIRAI・2019” is a short-term youth exchange program to invite 165 graduate/undergraduate students and young professionals from Europe, Central Asia and the Caucasus, who study Politics, Law, Security Policies, Economics, International Relations, Asian Studies, Japan Studies, Science and Technology or other related fields. The program is entitled as the “MIRAI” with a play on the Japanese word “MIRAI” (未来) (pronounced ”me-rye”) which means “Future”.
- Programs: This program will include approximately 4,800 people who will be sent to or from Japan and the Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean in the Japan’s Fiscal Year of 2019(From April,1,2019 to March,31,2020).
- INBOUND program (from the Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean) Participants: High school students, college students, graduate students and professional individuals.
- Number of participants: Approximately 4,000.
- Duration: Approximately 10 days Content:
- To attend lectures on Japanese politics, economics, society, history, and diplomatic relations to gain a deeper understanding of Japan.
- To visit education and research institutions, high-tech and traditional industries, fine arts and traditional crafts exhibitions, cultural heritage sites, and local government offices. They will interact and exchange ideas with people in these various sites through workshops and other events.
- To participate in homestays / home-visits with Japanese families, and visits to many parts of Japan that include various types of traditional performing arts and public entertainment events.
- To convey information about Japan’s attractions through reporting sessions or Social Network Services during / after the program.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Deadline: January 20, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
Terms and Conditions
The following arrangements and expenses are covered by the program
- Round trip international air tickets from/to the nearest airport (Gateway Airport) from your school and to/from Japan in Economy class. No cabin class upgrade available. (*Excess baggage charge will be paid at your own expense.)
- Overseas travel accident insurance (*Please note that chronic diseases, dental diseases and pregnancy diagnosed by a Japanese medical doctor and cases disapproved by the insurance company will NOT be covered by insurance. Individuals will be liable for the expenses mentioned above.)
- For scheduled activities in Japan
- Admission fees (*No cash allowance is provided to participants.) (*Participants are expected to cover personal expenses, such as passport fees, fees for vaccination, excess baggage charges, travel expenses between their home and departure port, fees for accommodation and meals in your countries.)
The following is not permitted:
- To remain in Japan after the program
- To change the flight designated by the program
- To change accommodation designated by the program
- To be accompanied by someone
- To travel to a third country on the way to Japan or back to participant’s country
Conditions for the stay in Japan:
- All the participants must attend all the programs planned by JTB and follow the rules/guidelines set by JTB.
- Participants that cause hindrance to the program may be dismissed, and will subsequently be responsible for leaving Japan at their own expense.
- JTB will try to prepare the followings when necessary for religious reasons, however, they may not always be provided depending on local circumstances. *time and place for prayers *meals suitable for food restriction for religious reasons.