Are you interested in studying in the DPRK (North Korea)? Following the successes of 2018, we are heading back to school from July – August 2019 for three weeks of intensive Korean language learning mixed with daily tourism activities and weekend overnight excursions. Join us for a eye opening experience and a rare chance to live and study in one of the top universities in the DPRK!
This summer we are heading back to Kim Hyong Jik University in the DPRK (North Korea) for three weeks intensive Korean language study mixed with daily tourism activities around Pyongyang, Kaesong & the D.M.Z. as well as overnight weekend excursions to the picturesque Myohyang Mountains, eastern port city of Wonsan and Hamhung!
This is a tour packed with adventure and new discoveries. Study alongside the locals and gain a unique day-to-day insight into life in North Korea, not to mention being one of the first foreigners to live and study Korean language at Kim Hyong Jik University in Pyongyang.
Kim Hyong Jik University of Education (김형직사범대학) is known for being a top university in the DPRK, specialized in pedagogical teacher training and teaching Korean as a second language. It offers an intensive and immersive Korean learning experience over a three-week period alongside experienced professors and covers a wide range of topics across listening, speaking, reading and writing. The university is located in East Pyongyang and offers courses in both the natural sciences and the humanities. Students typically study for 5 years and include a mix of students from around the country, China, and the rest of the world.
Each morning you have three hours class time to get to grips with the language. For total beginners this will firstly involve mastering the Korean alphabet, which you will be confident with after the first week. For intermediate and advanced learners, you will take a test on the first day to determine your level.
After class you will enjoy a tasty lunch before beginning your tourism itinerary in Pyongyang! Highlights include the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum, which includes the captured US spy ship, USS Pueblo, the Pyongyang Metro, one of the deepest in the world, the Taedonggang Diplomatic Club and Bar and much more! You will also get to see Kim Il Sung Square, where many of the famous parades take place, as well as the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, the final resting place of the eternal president Kim Il Sung and his son, Chairman Kim Jong Il. On 7-27, the anniversary of the North’s victory in the Korean War, you will witness mass celebrations in the streets and a chance to dance with the locals.
At weekends you will enjoy three trips, to the north, east, and south of the country! In the Myohyang Moutains you can see the International Friendship House, an underground structure which houses gifts bequeathed to the leaders from foreign dignitaries all over the world. In the south you will visit the DMZ – the line which divides the Korean nation. In the east you can see the port city of Wonsan, swim with locals on the beach, and see the beautiful natural vistas and waterfalls! You will also have an opportunity to visit the industrial city of Hamhung and stay in the 5* Majon Resort.
Each week you have also been invited to join an exclusive lecture series at Kim Il Sung University, covering topics such as Korean culture, food, language, and revolutionary history. After class there will also be the opportunity to partake in extra-curricular activities including 1:1 learning and exchange with local students, Korean Dancing and traditional Korean Taekwondo!
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Opportunity is open to anyone with a strong interest in learning the Korean language (total beginners or intermediate level) as a second language and experiencing the DPRK culture.
Deadline: May 31, 2019
Program Starts: July 20, 2019
Program Ends: August 12, 2019
Cost/funding for participants:
EUR 2299 / person for the standard itinerary with return overnight sleeper train tickets Beijing – Pyongyang – Beijing.
Accommodation is in shared twin rooms. Should you be travelling solo, we will match you with another single traveller. If you wish to have your own room, the single room supplement is EUR 695/person.
Tour price includes:
- 23 night accommodation; 21 nights at the Hotel or University dorm (to be confirmed), 1 night at the Dongrim Hotel or Chongchun Hotel and 1 night at the 5* Majon Deluxe Hotel.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner every day;
- Return international transportation Beijing – Pyongyang – Beijing as listed;
- All entry fees to the places of interest to be visited;
- 3 hours daily language tuition fee (total 15 days)
- 3x Kim Il Sung University exclusive lectures
- All transportation inside the DPRK, in an air-conditioned coach with driver;
- The use of two English speaking KITC guides.
Tour Price DOES NOT include:
- The DPRK tourist visa fee, which is EUR 50 if collected in Beijing at the pre-tour meeting;
- Any expenses incurred outside of the DPRK e.g. Double entry Chinese visa fee, international transportation to and from Beijing, accommodation in Beijing, meal in Beijing etc.
- Textbook costs which is EUR 5 – 25 depending on level;
- Graduation Certificate printing (EUR 10)
- Beverages, incidental expenses (souvenirs, funfair rides, trip up to the top of the Juche Tower, trip up to the top of the Arch of Triumph, swimming or beauty services etc.),
- Optional activities such as Taekwondo Class, Korean Dancing Class, Munsu Waterpark, Ten-pin Bowling, Fishing, Shooting Range, Horse Riding, Flying Club, Bicycle rental etc.
- Optional visits e.g. beer bar/pizza restaurant
- Optional overnight trip to Sinuiju (EUR 160)
- A flower offering at Memorial sites like Mansudae Grand Monument (EUR 5- 10);
- Travel and medical insurance;
- Gratuities for your guides, and driver (we would recommend a figure of around EUR 10 per person, per day).