The Lutfia Rabbani Foundation and the Leiden University Fund have joined forces to support students who demonstrate exceptional academic excellence and a strong motivation to promote Euro-Arab dialogue. The Fund shall provide one full scholarship annually to a Master’s student from an Arab country to attend a Master’s programme at Leiden University.
Moreover, the scholarship is strengthened by a mentoring programme that offers the scholarship recipient guidance on a personal and professional level and also provides access to the Foundation’s extensive and diverse network and platforms.
Applications for the 2022/2023 academic year will open on January 1, 2022. The application deadline will be March 31, 2022.
Applications to Leiden University are processed year round for the September and February intake. Applications may take between 4-6 weeks to be processed by Leiden University. Only applicants with an official letter of acceptance from Leiden University will be considered for a scholarship by the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation.
Leiden University advises that housing registration be done as early as possible. Should you decide not to attend Leiden University, your housing application can be cancelled and fully refunded if you do so before the deadline of June 1, 2021
How to Apply
Necessary documents are:
- Motivation and purpose statement (in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- Copy of passport
- Copies of degrees or diplomas with academic transcripts (with English translations)
- Two signed references from either academic or professional referees (in English)
- Letter of acceptance from Leiden University. In order to meet the March 31st deadline for the scholarship, applicants should apply to Leiden University no later than February 1st for the September intake. Applications may take between 4-6 weeks to be processed by Leiden University. Without a letter of acceptance from Leiden University, the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation cannot consider applicants for a scholarship.
- A detailed programme outline of the Master study the scholar intends to pursue at Leiden University (in English)
- Budget: please be thorough in completing your budget to include tuition fees (and whether you have applied to other scholarship funds) as well as necessary expenses to be incurred during the academic year. The maximum amount that may be awarded is € 30,000 for an academic year. You can use this Budget Template.
- Signed and dated Application Form (the form can also be downloaded in the application portal).
All the documents above must be submitted to the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation by March 31st, 2022. Apply by clicking on the button below (make sure you already have all the requested documents ready to upload to the application portal).
About Leiden University
As a prestigious European research university, Leiden University plays a foremost role in academic research and teaching. High-quality academic research and teaching are crucial to a safe, healthy, sustainable, prosperous and just world. The University is committed to developing, disseminating and applying academic knowledge and is a trusted figure in societal and political debates in the national and international arena.
- Leiden University is an internationally operating research-driven university with a wide range of academic disciplines and degree programmes. It aims for excellence in all its research and teaching.
- The University focuses its efforts on achieving the maximum impact from its research and teaching – academic, cultural, societal and economic. It does this in close collaboration with local, regional, national and international partners.
- Based on a careful consideration of its disciplinary structure, Leiden University focuses on disciplinary and interdisciplinary research and teaching.
- Leiden University trains students and PhD candidates for academic posts in academia and beyond. Its graduates are able to conduct a critical assessment of academic and societal problems and make considered choices when seeking solutions to these problems.
- Leiden University aspires to create a close academic community of staff and students. Leiden alumni inform this community with their experience, expertise and involvement. Leiden University also works closely with its university partners: Delft University of Technology and Erasmus University Rotterdam, and at European level with its partners in the League of European Research Universities (LERU).
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
The scholarship is open to Arab students who have received an official letter of acceptance into a one year Master’s programme at Leiden University. Students must be nationals from one of the following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, UAE, Yemen, and Sudan.
Criteria for the evaluation
- Academic excellence
- Personal growth: Assessing the contribution the proposed field of study would have on the applicant’s continued academic and professional development and/or its potential for impact in the local context.
- Strong motivation in line with the ideals of the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation’s goal of promoting Euro-Arab dialogue and understanding
- Financial need
Deadline: March 31, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
The maximum amount of the Leiden University Fund – Lutfia Rabbani Foundation Scholarship is €30,000.
Terms and Conditions
- Once the scholarship is granted and accepted, the signed terms and conditions form acts as a legal contract between the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation and the Leiden University Fund – Lutfia Rabbani Foundation scholar.
- A mid-year academic progress report is required, including a list of grades achieved to date.
- Within two months time of completion of study, the student must submit a report of his/her experience to the Board of the Foundation. The Board of the Foundation reserves the right to edit the report for communication purposes.