Areas of Practice
Media Arts (Media Geijutsu in Japanese) including Media Art, Video, Game, Animation, Manga etc.
Whether the works are media art, videos, games, animations, or manga, the artists will be able to experience Japanese Media Arts culture, with additional opportunities to meet with Japanese creators to discuss their works. The aim of this program is not only to support the realization of works and research projects but also to stimulate cross-cultural dialogues through Media Arts.
Outline of the project
- Research and creation of a new work: the participants will conduct research and create a new work during the residency and give a presentation of their work at the end of their stay, either as a completed work or as a work-in-progress.
- Study and Training: the participants will make visits to educational institutions, research facilities, studios, and communicate with Japanese artists and experts.
- Discussions with an expert: the participants will meet Japanese creators and experts in Media Arts regularly to discuss their works.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- be currently living outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
- have previously shown works at international art festivals, film festivals, game shows, comic festivals, etc. Being awarded a prize or included in the Jury Selection at the Japan Media Arts Festival in the past.
- be between the ages of 20 and 35 (not definite, as applicant’s previous career will also be considered)
- be able to speak either English or Japanese fluently enough to communicate in everyday situations.
- be in good health.
- be able to participate in remote interviews (i.e. have access to a computer with Skype connected to the internet).
- have no criminal records.
Deadline: September 30, 2019
Program Starts: January 23, 2020
Program Ends: March 23, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
The following will be provided by the program:
- Travel expenses (round-trip airline ticket from the country of residence to Tokyo)
- Living allowance (including travel expenses for research and creation inside Japan)
- Travel insurance
- Housing in Tokyo
- Location in Tokyo
- Opportunities to meet Japanese creators and experts
*No application fees are required, but the residents are responsible for the production expenses.