In 2021, we have been crowned Employer of the Year at the Thames Valley Awards, and in 2019 were recognised as Enlightened Employer, Women in Business and Thames Valley Tech finalists.
Enriched by our parent company Mondelēz International, our diverse team includes 23 nationalities from 300 members, creating a family feel as we strive towards our mission of “Science Enhancing Lives”.
We deliver Science with Service
You may wonder how a large FMCG organisation relates to the world of pharmaceutical, healthcare, bio-pharmaceutical and consumer goods. We do this at RSSL by combining our scientific expertise and cutting-edge equipment, with dedicated specialist teams to support these other industries.
As a Graduate Scientist at RSSL, you will be based within one of our cutting-edge laboratories, providing services to our external customers and in some cases, Mondelēz. You will have the chance to apply your academic learning in a friendly and intellectually challenging environment. Training and coaching, through industry experts and senior mentors, together with resources from Mondelez International University will be provided to support your ongoing technical and personal development.
The Graduate Scientist position work within one of our state-of-the-art laboratories. We have three sites - two based on the University of reading Campus, the Reading Science and JJT, and the third based a short drive away in Wokingham.
The role will require occasional client contact, administrative support for laboratory management, and supervision and training of junior members of the team.
A successful Graduate Scientist will be responsible for performing a range of routine and investigative analyses in accordance with quality standards, ensuring that projects are completed effectively and meet the customer’s needs. The type of analyses performed are specific to each of RSSL’s laboratories, who specialise in Food, Pharmaceutical and Biopharmaceutical techniques.
These could include:
- Chromatographic techniques such as HPLC, HPLC-MS, GC-MS, GC-FID
- Spectroscopic techniques such as AAS, MP-AES, ICP-MS/ICP-OES, FT-IR and UV-spec
- Microscopic techniques such as SEM, EDS and XRF
- Other assay techniques such as ELISA, PCR and whole genome sequencing
- Working in an organised manner within tight deadlines and under minimal supervision
- Providing high quality customer service at all times
- Ensuring effective management of assigned workloads, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results
- Developing expertise in analytical techniques and scientific understanding and performing basic maintenance and troubleshooting of lab equipment
- Report writing
- Providing training in routine activities and methods
- Proficiency in use of generic and specific software packages required for the role, such as Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Q-Pulse.
- Performing method validation following protocols, and transcription checking for factual data
- Take responsibility as required for elements of specific projects and/or specific areas of general laboratory/sample administration
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals, solvents and allergens, and the appropriate protective wear will be supplied.
At Mondelēz International, our purpose is to empower people to snack right through offering the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way. That means delivering a broader range of delicious, high-quality snacks that nourish life's moments, made with sustainable ingredients and packaging that consumers can feel good about.
We have a rich portfolio of strong brands – both global and local. Including many household names such as Oreo, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Milka and Toblerone chocolate; Sour Patch Kids candy and Trident gum. We are proud to hold the number 1 position globally in biscuits, chocolate and candy as well as the No. 2 position in gum.
Our 80,000 Makers and Bakers are located in our operations in more than 80 countries and are working to sell our products in over 150 countries around the world. They are energized for growth and critical to us living our purpose and values. We are a diverse community that can make things happen, and happen fast.
Join us and Make It An Opportunity!
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Essential Candidate Requirements
- Studying a science related degree (specialism dependent on laboratory)
- BSc 2:1 degree, predicted result (or equivalent)
- Self-driven and motivated
- Naturally inquisitive and passionate about technical excellence
- Can work with a level of autonomy, as well as within a team
- Demonstrate strong analytical, communication and presentation abilities
- Pro-active, highly motivated, ready to take on new responsibilities and build strong relationships
- Experience of planning experiments or trials
- Able to travel (if required)
- Good working knowledge of MS Office
- We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.