United Kingdom United States of America Worldwide
OFID sponsors outstanding young students from developing countries through graduate studies in a development-related discipline.
OFID was conceived at the Conference of the Sovereigns and Heads of State of member countries, held in Algiers, Algeria, in March 1975. A Solemn Declaration “reaffirmed the natural solidarity which unites OPEC countries with other developing countries in their struggle to overcome underdevelopment,” and called for measures to strengthen cooperation between these countries.
The OFID Scholarship Award supports outstanding young individuals from developing countries so that they are able to pursue graduate studies in a development-related field. The program, which is currently in its thirteenth year of operation, has to date helped over 50 young people complete their education. Last year, OFID received close to 9,000 applications.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Must be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting his/her application.
- Must have obtained or be on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree with a Baccalaureate from an accredited college/university, or its equivalent.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Must be matriculated at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting August/September 2018, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the Master's Degree.
- Must be a national of a developing country—please refer to the list of eligible countries. Please note that nationals of OFID Member Countries (Algeria, Ecuador, Gabon, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela) are ineligible to apply.
- Must select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as: economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
Deadline: April 14, 2019
Cost/funding for participants:
The Award will cover the full cost of tuition fees, including any supplementary fees, required by your academic institution. The grant will also cover one round-trip flight between your home country and the university, health insurance, a relocation grant to help you cover additional costs of moving, and a monthly allowance for one year.