Belgium Finland France Liechtenstein Online Poland Sweden Worldwide
Fast-track your business with the RawMaterials Accelerator! Are you the next top innovation team offering radically sustainable products or services in the raw materials sector? Accelerate your solution to the market, apply for the RawMaterials Accelerator!
Calls for Phase 1 and Phase 2 are open!
RawMaterials Accelerator comprises three phases (Explore, Build, Grow). There are stage gates between each of the phases, where start-ups need to be approved for entering the next phase. Each phase has specific objectives, process, funding and timeline. The support provided in each Phase consists of both group work, individual coaching as well as anchoring start-ups in their local and national ecosystems while at the same time opening up introductions on a pan-European level to partners of the EIT RawMaterials Innovation Community. The combination of local anchoring and pan-European opportunities is envisaged to increase the success rate and market opportunities of the selected start-ups.
RawMaterials Accelerator introduces start-up teams to potential customers from the EIT RawMaterials partner network willing to adopt innovations. The programme connects local and national ecosystems to the pan-European network of a pilot and test infrastructure facilities as well as potential customers. RM Accelerator aims to develop start-ups so that they can rapidly become suppliers to, and perhaps future partners of, the EIT RawMaterials network.
- Phase 1: Explore - 3 months of expert business coaching with a focus on building a proof of concept for your business model and discovering your market niche
- Phase 2: Build - 6 months, supports your validation of customer needs and verification of business assumptions while identifying criteria for market entry
- Phase 3: Grow - 9-12 months, tailors your business for launch through market entry, raising financing and expansion of your team.
Europe is home to world-leading manufacturing industries, game-changing innovative technologies and an entrepreneurial infrastructure that can enable the transition to a resource-efficient, sustainable, society as envisioned in the Horizon Europe agenda. A sustainable supply of mineral resources (metals, construction material) is vital for the development of these core industrial activities and their long-term economic success.
RawMaterials Accelerator supports new businesses sharing our vision to develop raw materials into a major strength for Europe.
- Exploration and raw materials resource assessment
- Mining in challenging environments
- Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes
- Recycling and material chain optimisation for End-of-Life products
- Substitution of critical and toxic materials in products and for optimised performance
- Design of products and services for the circular economy
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Ideas wanted under the Thematic ScopeEurope is home to world-leading manufacturing industries, game-changing innovative technologies and an entrepreneurial infrastructure that can enable the transition to a resource efficient, sustainable, society as envisioned in the EU 2020 agenda.
A sustainable supply of mineral resources (metals, construction material) is vital for the development of these core industrial activities and their long-term economic success. However, Europe has become highly dependent on imports of these mineral resources, particularly critical raw materials, which is a key threat to future business in Europe.
EIT RawMaterials activities in the area of Business creation and Support seeks to boost innovative Start-ups and SMEs in the following themes:
1. Exploration and raw materials resources assessment
Technologies and solutions for improved and new mineral exploration. As an example, solutions could include:
- New and improved geological models, better exploration model understanding and techniques for going 3D/4D, drones, etc.
- New instrumentation, methods and technologies for more reliable, cheaper, faster and safer mineral exploration, including technologies and services for innovative data acquisition, big data analysis/handling and utilize existing/historical dataset for exploration and mining
- Application of new innovations, new geological models and rethinking/re-evaluations of geological settings/prospects to provide new exploration prospects and mining targets
2. Mining in challenging environments
Technologies and solutions for more efficient, safer and sustainable modern mining. As an example, solutions could include:
- Application of new technologies/services for more efficient production, better safety, better utilization of equipment and employees for mining. Virtual reality, UAVs/ robotics, automation, real-time data that will improve planning, scheduling of operations and delivering better efficiencies and cost savings
- Innovative services, approaches and products in order to ensure public understanding and awareness about the need for raw materials, exploration and mining, ensure cooperate social responsibility and social license to operate as well as added values of mining including remediation
3. Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes
Technologies and solutions for mineral and metal processing and for improved material production. As an example, solutions could include:
- Optimized extraction and production processes for metals and alloys, improving the efficiency of the process, using less energy and water, reducing cost and the production of waste
4. Recycling and material chain optimisation for End-of-Life products
Technologies and solutions for materials supply from secondary sources and recycling. As an example, solutions could include:
- Solutions for recycling of end-of-life products, extraction from industrial residues, tailings, urban and landfill mining, demolition of buildings (e.g. WEEE, batteries, magnets, solar cells etc.)
- Cost efficient and clever collection, dismantling and sorting of waste
5. Substitution of critical and toxic materials in products and for optimised performance
New technologies or services that make it possible to substitute or use less critical or toxic materials in key industries. Examples:
- Substitution of critical and toxic metals in specific energy materials, like Pt in fuel cells, Co in lithium-ion batteries, Nd and Dy in Nd-Fe-B permanent magnets
- Substitution of critical and toxic metals like Co and W in carbides, speciality metals in high strength steels and superalloys, incl. the design and manufacturing
- New material systems that contain no or less critical and toxic materials, for instance, for the use in batteries, permanent magnets, solar cells, and thermoelectric and magnetocaloric applications
- New/optimized materials for additive manufacturing, for instance, in the field of printable electronics
- New lightweight composites and designs as substitutes for critical materials containing high strength steels and for optimized performance
- Solutions that integrate new materials into a Circular Economy, for instance, technology and business that enables and builds upon the reuse and recycling of newly developed, high-performance materials
- New products, systems, and services for an optimised raw materials use, particularly with respect to mobility and energy technologies
6. Design of products and services for the circular economy
Solutions and business models for the implementation of a circular economy approach. Examples:
- New business models for resource recovery, product Life Extension (repairing, re-manufacturing, etc.), product as a service, sharing platforms
In particular, the supply of a range of ores and metals is the main target of the EIT RawMaterials innovation community. Bio-based and polymer materials will be considered only in view of their substitution potential of critical and toxic materials and for optimized performance or for multi-material product recycling. Petrochemical raw materials, food/agricultural raw materials and construction materials are excluded.