Essays should address one or several questions, as follows:
- How can you help tackle marine litter in the Black Sea region? Share your ideas and/or experiences!
- Why is marine litter prevention important?
- What do you think is standing in the way of a clean Black Sea?
- Have you ever participated in public or youth initiatives to collect marine litter? What would motivate you to do so?
About the Organisers:
- Permanent International Secretariat of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC PERMIS)
The BSEC PERMIS performs the secretarial duties for the Organization of the “Black Sea Economic Cooperation” (BSEC Organization), a full-fledged intergovernmental, regional organization promoting the economic cooperation among its 13 Member States from the wider Black Sea region. Twenty-eight years after its foundation in 1992, BSEC is today the oldest, most representative, most inclusive and institutionally mature intergovernmental Organization in the wider Black Sea area, contributing to the promotion of regional cooperation and economic development.
- International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS)
Founded in 1998 as a non-profit organization, the ICBSS, a Related Body of the Organisation of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC) serving as the latter’s think-tank, is a research and training institution focusing on the wider Black Sea region. Through a diverse plan of activities, ICBSS aims to enhance knowledge through research and to foster multilateral cooperation among the BSEC Member States, as well as among regional and international partners.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Essays must be submitted in the English or Russian
- Essays must be 1000 words – max. 2000 words. This is the total word count of the essay including the bibliography.
- Essays must include footnotes and bibliography.
- Submission will not be accepted if: the essay exceeds the above-mentioned maximum or minimum word count; does not address the topic; does not include citations and at least one source of information.
Who can participate
Essays may be submitted by high-school students aged 15 to 18 years, citizens of the 13 BSEC Member States (Albania, Republic of Armenia, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Bulgaria, Georgia, Hellenic Republic, Republic of Moldova, Republic of North Macedonia, Romania, Russian Federation, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Turkey and Ukraine).
Deadline: September 30, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
- 1st Place: 1000 EUR
- 2nd Place: 500 EUR
- 3rd Place: 300 EUR
- 4th to 10th places: Certificate of participation
1st Prize winner will be invited to the Project’s Final Conference in spring 2022 (venue and date to be announced).