As part of a global net-zero commitment, Shell StartUp Engine is a global innovation program for pre-seed to Series A startups looking to power business growth within the smart energy landscape. Shell Singapore is a proud leader in technology R&D, working together with government, entrepreneurs and society to support new energy technologies and businesses.
“Shell and Singapore have had a long history of working together, in building businesses that create sustained and meaningful value. Not only are our assets in Singapore being used as live test beds to pilot new technologies, the larger Singapore ecosystem also enables Shell to push innovative thinking even further. Energy solutions that we develop successfully here can potentially be replicated in cities around the world.”
– Aw Kah Peng, Chairman, Shell Companies in Singapore
During a 6-month part-time program, selected startups will receive hands-on coaching from Startupbootcamp’s team and mentorship from industry experts including Shell’s expertise. The final day of the program, Shell StartUp Engine Demo Day, will see participating startups present their companies to hundreds of customers, partners and investors based in Singapore and around the world.
The programme will be delivered by Startupbootcamp, a global network of accelerators supporting innovative start-ups to grow and scale.
Through the programme, start-ups will receive capability building support and feedback via monthly workshops and individual coaching sessions, from industry experts facilitated by Startupbootcamp and Shell mentors. This includes learning about global trends, challenges and opportunities in the energy sector. There will also be opportunities for start-ups to showcase their solutions at local industry events, and to connect with the wider global energy industry network locally and globally, comprising investors, fellow entrepreneurs, potential partners, customers and more. The programme will conclude with a Demo Day pitch event held in Singapore, broadcasted to a global audience.
What commitment is required of participating start-ups?
The programme is a 6-month part-time commitment involving monthly touchpoints with programme coaches and Shell mentors. At least one member of the start-up’s founding team will need to actively participate throughout the duration of the programme. This would ensure the participating start-ups receive the full benefits of the programme.
As a country, Singapore has announced its ambition to halve its 2030 peak emissions by 2050, with the aim to achieve net-zero emissions as soon as viable in the second half of the century. Shell Singapore recognises the urgency to act now and has also announced a 10-year plan in 2020 to transform our business and cut our CO2 emissions to thrive through the energy transition. This builds on Shell’s overarching ambition to be a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050 or sooner, in step with society and with customers.
We believe the energy transition requires coordinated action from all – from policymakers, leaders from business and non-governmental organisations, to start-ups, consumers, and society. We are committed to collaboration and innovation in order to transform the energy system. Growing the energy start-up ecosystem is one vital step of the journey. Moreover, Singapore has been long regarded as a key innovation hub for Asia and a test-bed for start-ups. This makes Singapore a natural fit and strategic choice for Shell to run this programme.
Shell Singapore and Energy Market Authority signed a Memorandum of Understanding at EMA’s Energy Innovation 2019 event to nurture local energy startups. Shell and EMA will jointly provide support through the Shell Startup Engine. During the program, startups have the opportunity to connect with both organisations, to be a part of Singapore International Energy Week in October 2021, further develop practical solutions and apply for grant funding at the end.
Key Focus Areas
- New Fuels & Power
- Energy Efficiency
- Carbon Capture, Storage, Utilization
- Future of Mobility
- Circular Economy & Waste Reduction
- Jun 25 Applications open
- Aug 06 Applications close
- Sep 03 - 03 Selection Days
- Sep 17 Program begins
- Feb 18 Demo Day
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
To be eligible for the program, startups must fulfil the following criteria:
- Registered in Singapore OR have significant business operations in Singapore
- Less than SGD$100 Million in annual sales turnover
- Group employment size below 200 employees
- Minimum of 30% local ordinary shareholding [This requirement applies only for purposes of the post-program funding opportunity with EMA]
- Submissions will be reviewed by Shell, the Energy Market Authority (EMA), Startupbootcamp and any other relevant organisation deemed relevant by Shell.
- The selection criteria will be based on the following: (i) Team & Ability (ii) Execution Power (iii) Market & Product (iv) Program Benefit (v) Relevance of Technology to Singapore and Regional Context.
- Shortlisted applicants will be notified within 1 month after applications close and invited to Selection Day, where start-ups will have the chance to meet other teams, pitch to a judging panel and receive feedback from industry experts. Thereafter, start-ups selected for the programme will be notified.
Deadline: August 06, 2021
Program Starts: September 17, 2021
Program Ends: February 18, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
Why join the program?
- 6-Month Program - A part-time program designed to support entrepreneurs in scaling their industry-changing technology business
- Masterclasses - Expert-led sessions by Startupbootcamp covering all scaling fundamentals - from business model canvas, go-to-market to fundraising
- Program Partners - Connections to EMA for testing and grant opportunities
- Credibility & Networks - Backing of Shell brand in the smart energy landscape
- Tailored Mentorship - Selected mentors from Shell who provide hands-on support and valuable introductions
- No equity taken - Retain equity and IP ownership
- Alumni Network - Continued post-program support through annual alumni-only connections, events and deals
- Industry Events - Exclusive opportunities to take part in leading smart energy conferences and events
- Demo Day - A day to celebrate your achievements during the program in front of hundreds of customers, partners and investors
- Investor Access - Meet most active VCs and Angel investors in your industry from around the world
Shell StartUp Engine and its partners will not retain any equity or benefit commercially from the start-ups through the programme.