Argentina Cuba Puerto Rico Spain
Spanish Studies Abroad has awarded over $230,000 in scholarships since 2001. We offer two scholarship options for students attending our regular academic programs in Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Argentina. You may submit an application to only one scholarship: Merit-Based or Diversity.
Essay entries should be between 400 and 500 words and written in English.
Please include your name, program, and home college or university in the top right-hand corner, and submit your completed scholarship application to email@example.com "Diversity Scholarship Essay" or "Merit-Based Scholarship Essay" in the subject.
Be creative! This is your chance to set yourself apart!
- This scholarship is specially designed for students with a strong passion for the Spanish language. Strong preference will be given to students who demonstrate great dedication to their study of Spanish both in and out of the classroom.
- Prompt: For this essay, share a personal life story that demonstrates your dedication to learning Spanish and how you have gone above and beyond in your acquisition of the language.
- This scholarship is specially designed for students from diverse backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in Study Abroad including, but not limited to the areas of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, age, religion, disabilities, as well as first generation students and non-traditional students.
- Prompt: In this essay, describe a unique chapter in your life that has contributed to making you an applicant for this specific scholarship.
Go-again Alumni Scholarship
- The Spanish Studies Abroad Alumni Scholar Fund was developed in 2004 and designed to benefit returning students wishing to embark on an additional cross-cultural adventure with Spanish Studies Abroad. Spanish Studies now offers all alumni students a stipend to apply towards another Spanish Studies Abroad experience in Spain, Argentina, Puerto Rico, or Cuba.
- Please note that all Spanish Studies Alumni who choose to attend an additional program with Spanish Studies Abroad will automatically receive the Alumni Scholarship. Alumni who receive an Alumni Scholarship are also eligible to apply for the Spanish Studies Abroad Scholarship Program.
The deadlines for both Spanish Studies Abroad Scholarships are the same as the regular program deadlines:
Program Term Program Application / Scholarship Deadlines
- Academic Year: May 15
- Fall Semester: May 15
- Spring Semester: October 15
- Spring Semester: Jan Term October 15
- Jan Term October: 15
- Any Summer Program: April 15
Why Spanish Studies
Since 1969, Spanish Studies Abroad has designed its own innovative programming, specifically for U.S. students, with a focus on academic integrity, Spanish language acquisition, and student integration into the local culture.
We are constantly adapting and improving our programs through regular analysis and reflection to be sure we are providing our students with the greatest learning experience possible. Our dedicated faculty and staff provide personalized support to students every step of the way.
Spanish Studies Abroad is student-centered and for more than 40 years we have been providing a fun, supportive, and challenging study abroad experience.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Our programs are designed for students who will apply the credit earned in Spain, Argentina, or Cuba towards a degree in an American or Canadian college or university.
- While our programs are generally designed for students who are currently enrolled in a college or university and are seeking to obtain undergraduate credit, high school students may also attend our programs, as long as they meet admission requirements/pre-requisites.
- A student should be at least 16 years of age to enroll in a Spanish Studies Abroad program independently.
Cumulative GPA Requirement:
- Merit Based Scholarship: 3.5 GPA
- Diversity Based Scholarship: 3.0 GPA
- Students may apply for the Merit-Based or Diversity Scholarship prior to their acceptance to the program, but only accepted students may receive a scholarship.
- Receipt of a Spanish Studies Abroad Scholarship, as with all scholarship awards, may affect your overall financial aid package at your home institution.
- Late scholarship applications will not be considered. No exceptions.
- Students who are part of customized group programs through their home universities are not eligible for scholarships.
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
- Semester/Academic Year Awards: $ 1,500.00
- Summer/January Awards: $ 500.00