With the Stockholm Innovation Scholarship, the City of Stockholm wants to reward creative people with bright ideas and encourage them to further develop those ideas. Are you the one we are looking for?
Founded in 1985, the Stockholm Innovation Scholarship is the City of Stockholm’s official innovation scholarship. Since 2013, the Innovation Scholarship also has an external financier, Stiftelsen Agne Johanssons Minnesfond, which promotes the development of inventions, innovation and entrepreneurship.
Scholarship award ceremony at Stockholm City Hall
The jury will select three finalists per category. Finalists will be invited to the scholarship award ceremony at Stockholm City Hall. Scholarship winners will be announced during a lunchtime ceremony.
Finalists will be invited by email about a week before the scholarship ceremony. Applicants who are not selected as finalists will be notified via the email address used during application.
Every scholarship category of Stockholm Innovation Scholarship and Stockholm Acceleration Scholarship has dedicated jury members. They have expertise and experience within both innovation and the category’s specific industry. Every jury member will sign a non-disclosure agreement, NDA, so that applicants can safely share and present their innovation. We endeavour to renew the jury every five years.
Category 1: Simplify everyday life
- Our lives are becoming more and more digitized, opening new possibilities in terms of individualization as well as mobility, sustainability and well-being. We are looking for innovations that are smart, forward-thinking solutions, which contribute to improving all aspects of our daily lives including home, work, transportation, sports, and other leisure activities.
- In this category, we are looking for innovations that can make a person’s everyday life easier. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 2: Creative industries
- Stockholm offers a unique environment where different creative industries can meet and collaborate, thereby promoting the growth of creative industries locally and even internationally. We are looking for innovative solutions within film, literature, music, fashion, and gaming. There is also a need for innovative solutions within key sectors of society including business, health, and education.
- In this category, we are looking innovative solutions within film, literature, music, food, fashion, design and gaming. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 3: Life Science and health
- Due to its rapid growth, Stockholm is facing major challenges when it comes to meeting its inhabitants’ needs within healthcare, both preventive care and effective medical care. We need smart innovative solutions that improve today’s healthcare, improve people’s quality of life and well-being, as well as our lives and health in general.
- In this category, we are looking for innovative solutions within digital healthcare, biological and medical technology, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, nutrition and training. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 4: Travel and turism
- Aiming for Stockholm to position itself as an even more appealing city to visitors, we are looking for innovative solutions that develop and/or market Stockholm as an attractive destination for modern, aware individuals. The innovation can be a new experience or type of experience, an idea of how an experience is marketed, discovered, made available, enhanced, developed or something even more innovative that deals with how Stockholm takes care of all their visitors.
- In this category, we are looking for solutions within hospitality where hotels and other accommodations, restaurants, transport and trade are the biggest industries. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 5: Social impact and sustainability
- Stockholm has a long tradition of promoting innovation within social and ecological sustainability to create results that are beneficial to society as a whole. We are looking for forward-thinking smart products and services that create positive societal outcomes.
- In this category, we are looking for smart products and services within environmental technology, foodtech, edtech and all other types of social innovations. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
To be eligible to apply for the Stockholm Innovation Scholarship you must:
- Apply as an individual (Companies are not allowed to apply).
- Reside, work, and/or study in Stockholm County* at the time of application.
- You must be 18 years of age or older during the current application period.
- Not have received a Stockholm Innovation Scholarship twice in the past two years.
- Not have been an employee of the City of Stockholm, including associated companies or administrations, in the past year.
* Botkyrka, Danderyd, Ekerö, Haninge, Huddinge, Järfälla, Lidingö, Nacka, Norrtälje, Nykvarn, Nynäshamn, Salem, Sigtuna, Sollentuna, Solna, Stockholm, Sundbyberg, Södertälje, Tyresö, Täby, Upplands-Bro, Upplands Väsby, Vallentuna, Vaxholm, Värmdö, Österåker.
More about the qualification criteria
- The Innovation Scholarship encourages individuals who are interested in developing their idea, but may lack support from companies, organisations, or institutions.
- You may apply as an individual or as a team. At least one of the team member(s) must fulfil the requirements of either residing, working or studying in Stockholm County at the time of application.
- The team member, who fulfills these requirements, is the one who should apply for the scholarship. That person will also represent the other team member(s) should the innovation win. This person is responsible for sharing the scholarship among fellow team member(s).
Deadline: October 12, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
The Stockholm Innovation Scholarship is awarded to five innovators in different categories: Simplify everyday life, Creative industries, Life science and health, Travel and turism, and Social impact and sustainability.
Each scholarship winner receives
- 100 000 SEK
- innovation coaching from Almi
- marketing and networking opportunities
- free workspace at United Spaces for six months.