Online United States of America
Founded in 2007, this program is the original Techstars accelerator and has helped over 150 companies (who have raised over $1B) take their business to the next level. We create a family of entrepreneurs to travel with you on the inevitable ups and downs of the startup journey, and we build the capacities of founders and their teams. We believe the best companies are built from the inside out, from founders, to leadership teams, to the company and their community. Our 124 alumni companies include DigitalOcean, Sphero, and SendGrid.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Our 13 week mentorship-driven accelerator programs provide in-depth foundational content that prepares you to run your startup, plus strong mentoring relationships with experts in your industry and in all aspects of entrepreneurship. We truly set you up to #DoMoreFaster—participants often say that they accomplish more in these three months than they would in a year and a half, working on their own. Programs culminate with Demo Day: we prepare you thoroughly to give your best pitch to a room full of interested investors.
Each year, we choose over 300 companies to join our three month mentorship-driven accelerator, investing $120K and providing hands-on mentorship and access to the Techstars Network for life.
At Techstars, we see the reverse in our accelerator portfolio – 90 percent of our startups are active or have successfully exited. Which statistic reflects your business? If you’re ready to succeed, take the next step and apply now to the Techstars worldwide network with more than 10,000 mentors, partners, investors and founders.
At Techstars, we are on a mission to help entrepreneurs succeed. Our mentorship-driven accelerator programs invest in founders to help them do more faster. Over the past 10 years we have helped over 1,274 companies grow and raise over $4.4 billion in funding, with a market cap of $11.4 billion. Now, we are excited to start the search for the next wave of companies to join our worldwide network!
HOW IT WORKS
- Our Three-Month Program: We don’t tell you what to do or when. We create an environment that is conducive to helping your startup every day by surrounding you with people who will mentor, inspire, and challenge you.
- Grow Your Network: From a large pool of mentors, find your top 3-5 mentors who will be committed to helping you with product development, market fit, and who will also provide valuable introductions to help grow your company — fast.
- Gain Traction: Go deeper with your lead mentors, work with your Managing Director, gain traction and hit your milestones – whether that’s a prototype, building out the next phase of your product, finding your first customer or hitting $50M in revenue.
- Accelerate Your Business: Determine your fundraising strategy and prepare to meet with investors. Learn how to communicate your vision and prepare to meet with investors, partners and other key stakeholders who can help shape your future.
- Demo Day: The program culminates with a celebration at Demo Day! This is your chance to show the world how much progress you’ve made in just a few short months.
- Techstars for Life: While the program itself may be over, Techstars is for life. Leverage the network through Techstars BizDev Days, Techstars Investor Days, Techstars FounderCon, ongoing mentorship, monthly alumni events, and access to a deep well of resources.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- We fund technology oriented companies, typically these are web-based or other software companies, but we’ve funded companies that don’t quite fit that mold as well. We’re also looking for companies that can have national or worldwide reach. Specifically, we don’t fund biotechnology companies, restaurants, consultancies, or other local service oriented companies.
- We fund all types of startups, working in all verticals, using any type of business models. Do keep in mind, however, that our focus is on startups rather than small businesses.
- We do our best to avoid accepting competitive companies into the same program class. However, with the growing number of Techstars companies, there may be competitive companies in the broader Techstars network. In the event there is a company in the Techstars portfolio that’s competitive, we work tirelessly to ensure there is no exchange of sensitive data.
We look at team, team, team, market, progress, idea—in that order.
We choose great founders who are proposing products that solve real problems or create meaningful innovations. For us, it’s about the team. For this reason, we’re less likely to accept single founder companies (you’re less likely to have all the skills your company needs to succeed). The best things you can do to strengthen your application are:
- Round out your team with business, technical, and other necessary skills;
- Make progress on your prototype or product and reference it in the application;
- Show us you’ve really thought about your business and have gotten out there to do something about it;
- Demonstrate early traction or provide data points to validate your core assumptions.
Deadline: October 06, 2021
Program Starts: January 24, 2022
Program Ends: April 21, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
Upon acceptance to a Techstars Accelerator, Techstars contributes $20,000, which is commonly used as a stipend to support living expenses during the program, and in return receives 6% equity of the company (on a fully diluted basis, issued as common stock) until the company raises a priced equity financing of US $250,000 or more (a “Qualified Financing”). However, if a company conducts a Network Launch using distributed ledger technology (i.e. a blockchain initial coin offering, token event, etc.), then Techstars will also receive 6% of the Token Reserve (i.e. the tokens “held back” for the founders and the company at Network Launch). In addition, all accepted companies are offered a $100,000 convertible note.
Each company also receives:
- Access to Techstars resources for life
- Acceleration in a 90-day Techstars program with intense, hands-on mentorship from Techstars Mentors
- Connections to the Techstars Network of over 10,000 founders, alumni, and mentors globally
- 120+ perks and growing
- Office space for three months (unless you are participating in a virtual program)
- Demo Day and other investor connections
- Equity Back Guarantee, the only one of its kind in our industry