The AgriFutures™ Rural Women’s Award is Australia’s leading award acknowledging and supporting the essential role women play in rural industries, businesses and communities. The Award provides a platform to inspire and support Australian women to use and develop their skills to benefit their industries and communities.
Over the past 21 years, the Award has gained a significant profile, and is recognised as a program of influence among parliamentarians, industry, media and Award alumni. Each state and territory winner receives a $10,000 bursary for innovative ideas and projects, access to professional development opportunities and alumni networks.
AgriFutures Australia is committed to the future growth and advancement of the Award as a means of identifying, celebrating and empowering women. The Rural Women’s Award is one of many AgriFutures Australia initiatives ensuring our rural industries prosper now, and into the future.
The project or initiative may be commercially or non-commercially focused, and must align with AgriFutures Australia’s strategic priorities such as:
- Community sustainability
- Regional development
The bursary can be used for
- formal training in leadership and business management;
- overseas study tours;
- establishing business plans or pilot programs;
- developing educational or promotional campaigns;
- networking at forums and conferences to grow your knowledge of industries and markets;
- developing training programs;
- testing information technology initiatives;
- developing or testing a new business concept or innovation; and publishing books
The bursary cannot be used for buying capital equipment (without the explicit approval from AgriFutures Australia) or further tertiary education such as a Diploma, Masters or Doctorate degree.
Winners will also have the opportunity to complete a professional development training course, and will attend a three-day workshop with all other state/territory winners, to focus on further professional development skills and refinement of their winning idea, project or initiative.
About AgriFutures Australia
AgriFutures Australia is a new beginning for the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC). We are an organisation that proudly focuses on the future of Australian agriculture. We live and work in the regions and represent the interests and aspirations of farmers and rural communities.
Our vision is to grow the long-term prosperity of Australian rural industries. In practical terms, this means:
- Initiatives that attract capable people into careers in agriculture, build the capability of future rural leaders, and support change makers and thought leaders.
- Research and analysis to understand and address important issues on the horizon for Australian agriculture.
- Research and development for established industries that do not have their own Research & Development Corporation (RDC), including the Rice, Chicken Meat, Honey Bee and Pollination, Thoroughbred Horse, Pasture Seeds, Export Fodder, Ginger and Tea Tree Oil industries.
- Research and development to accelerate the establishment and expansion of new rural industries, such as Deer, Buffalo, Kangaroo and Camel Milk.
- June 2020 – June 2021: 2020 AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award virtual program takes place
- July 2021: 2020 State/Territory Winners participate in a three-day workshop and National Selection Panel interviews
- September 2021: 2020 AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award Gala Dinner and National Announcement
- 2022 applications open
October 2021: 2022 applications close
- November 2021 – April 2022: 2022 phone, and face-to-face interviews take place with the state/territory Selection Panel. State/Territory Winners announced
- July 2022: 2022 State/Territory Winners participate in a three-day workshop and National Selection Panel interviews
- September 2022: 2022 AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award Gala Dinner and National Announcement
How to apply
- Online applications for the AgriFutures™ Rural Women’s Award open 14 September 2021 and close 31 October 2021 at 9pm AEDT.
- Applications must address all selection criteria and include contact details for two referees.
- Referees will only be contacted if your application makes it to the final round – i.e. face-to-face state/territory interviews.
- State Coordinator contact information is provided below. We encourage you to contact your State Coordinator who will guide you through the application process and provide feedback on your project, initiative or idea.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Who can apply
- The Award is open to all women involved in rural industries, rural and regional businesses and rural and regional communities
- Location is no barrier. If you want to create impact, innovate and make a difference and/or contribute to enhancing the prosperity of rural and regional Australia, then we want to hear from you
- Women must be over the age of 18, and Australian citizens or permanent residents
- No formal qualifications are required.
- If you know someone who should apply for the AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award, please email their name, contact details, and project area to email@example.com.
When we refer to “rural industries” we mean agriculture, forestry and fisheries.
Deadline: October 31, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
What is the bursary?
- All state/territory winners will participate in a separate National Selection Panel interview.
- The National Winner will be awarded an additional $10,000 bursary and National Runner Up, an additional $5,000.
- These additional funds can be used for the above-mentioned activities, plus may also be used to assist in meeting national commitments such as speaking engagements as the National Winner or Runner Up.