This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world's youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
Theme: “A Letter from Myself in 2030”
Imagine what an ideal world ten years from now would be like. Write a letter from yourself in 2030 to your present (2020) self, in which you describe the state of the world, the way people are living, and what you, yourself, are doing in society. In addition, include any important message that you might wish to tell your present self.
As a special edition, this year’s contest involves action in addition to writing, so that participating in the contest directly contributes to creating a better world. Please note, however, that only the essay itself will be considered in the selection process.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2020) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 - 25)
Deadline: June 15, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2020) ... 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2020) and gift ... 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift ... 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift ... 25 entrants
*1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2020 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
*Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
*All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2020 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2020.
*We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.