This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world's youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
“What is Life?”
What does life mean to you? Have you had an experience that made you think about the meaning of life? What kinds of things can you do to cherish and invigorate your own life and all life on earth?
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2021) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 - 25)
Deadline: June 15, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of March 2021) and gift ... 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of March 2021) and gift ... 3 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift ... 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift ... 25 entrants
*1st to 3rd prize winners will be invited to the Winners Gathering to be held online.
*Additional awards (Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
*All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2021 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2021.
*We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.