Belgium Canada United Kingdom United States of America Worldwide
Funding tailor-made trainings for young nephrologists from emerging countries.
The ISN Fellowship program provides relevant and contemporary nephrology training to physicians from emerging countries, with the ultimate goal of improving the standards of care in the Fellows' home countries upon their return and to help them become leaders in their fields.
Our Partners: Special Fellowships
ISN has established partnerships with various organisations and special fellowships are available such as training on home dialysis in Toronto, pediatric nephrology, trainings in partnership with universities in the UK, or regional based fellowships (In South Asia, Asia Pacific, Latin America). Please check and click on the various logos on your right and see if you satisfy the criteria to apply to these special fellowships.
ISN Fellows receive hands-on training in advanced host institutions, allowing them to acquire state-of-the-art knowledge in basic and clinical nephrology, dialysis, transplantation, and epidemiology. The training focuses on providing the exact skills and knowledge specifically required by the home institution.
The program offers two types of Fellowships:
- Long term training (7–12 months)
- Short term training (2–6 months)
The guiding principle of the program is that Fellows are required to return to their home countries after their training to convey knowledge and experience that they acquired during their Fellowship, thereby teaching countless young physicians and providing critical enhancement to kidney disease care in their local communities. A recent survey indicated that upon completion of training and return to their home countries, over 80% of the fellows are now in positions in local academic centers with direct impact on clinical care and teaching.
Over the past two decades, the ISN Fellowship Program has served as an effective vehicle for conveying knowledge, skills, experience and opportunities to younger renal physicians from less privileged parts of the world. Over 500 nephrologists from developing nations have received invaluable training, thanks to the Fellowship Program.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
If you can answer positively to all these questions, you are ready to proceed with your application:
- Are you at least 30 years of age? (If you are over 40, you can only apply for a short-term fellowship)
- Are you living and working in a developing country? (low, lower middle or upper middle economy according to the World Bank criteria)
- Have you received basic training in nephrology in your home country?
- Are you nominated by a Home Mentor and your Home Institution who guarantees your re-employment once training has been completed?
- Can you be recommended by two senior nephrologists in your home country?
- Are you endorsed by the national society of nephrology in your home country?
- Have you identified an appropriate Host Mentor and Institution with whom you have agreed a suitable training plan?
- Does your training plan reflect the skills and knowledge that are required by your Home Institution and which you can implement on your return?
- Can you understand and communicate in the Host Country’s language?
- Are you willing to guarantee your return to your home country within three months of completing the training? (Otherwise all funds received from ISN must be refunded)