The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
As part of the LnD Division (Learning and Development), the Learning solutions unit (LS) provides advice and support to ICRC trainers and managers through the development and deployment of blended learning solutions. The unit advises on techno-pedagogical engineering for adult training.
The Learning solutions unit is offering a 1-year full time paid traineeship to be involved in different learning projects such as the personal security learning paths, management programme, the learning and development community of practice, research and development and the support provided to the operational divisions in the development of their learning initiatives. The mission consists primarily on developing digital learning activities and resources and making them available to the personnel through the ICRC’s learning management system, as well as carrying out a watch on learning technologies.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- Develop digital learning activities and resources including:
- Engage with subject matter experts to work on contents
- Propose the instructional design for the activities and resources to be produced
- Create graphical elements required in the modules
- Produce digital activities and resources by using authoring tools (GoAnimate, Branchtrack, Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, …)
- Create learner and trainer support material
- Carry out activities in the learning and development community of practice
- Support the Learning Solutions unit in the implementation of its research and development initiatives
- Support learning evaluation
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Certifications / Education required
Bachelor or Master's degree in pedagogical studies or education sciences, or relevant.
Professional Experience required
Important: For candidates to be eligible as associates, they must have a maximum of one year's professional experience after graduation (relating to the post) or two years if it includes previous traineeships.
Desired profile and skills
- Strong knowledge of adult-learning or proven interest
- Specialisation in multimedia distance learning or instructional design
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Problem-solving orientation and curiosity to learn new things
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Previous exposure to international humanitarian experiences would be an asset
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis would be an asset
- Ability to use learning tools and technologies (for example: Articulate Storyline, Mohive, GoAnimate, Branchtrack, etc.) at an advanced level
- Basic to intermediate command of multimedia tools (for example: Photoshop, illustrator, InDesign)
- Excellent command of verbal and written English and the necessary level to evolve in a French speaking working environment.
- Command of Spanish would be an asset.
Deadline: July 26, 2019
Program Starts: September 16, 2019
Program Ends: September 16, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
What we offer
- Rewarding work in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Professional experience in a dynamic, innovative and technology-oriented learning unit
- Paid traineeship
- Work permit in Switzerland: taken care of by the ICRC (carte de légitimation) (subject to internal regulations)